Byron Dickens

I have Miroslav Philharmonik, HaLion Symphonic Orchestra and the Sonivox Orchestral Companion layered together with Spitfire's Cimbalom playing the melody.

Probably one of the few, if not the only, things you've heard that is in Locrian Mode. I disguised it a bit by using a half-diminished chord for the tonic and leaving out the fifth, thereby avoiding that tritone on the tonic chord. Ending on the fourth maintainss the harmonic ambiguity. Coupled with the 7/8 time signature, I think makes the piece feel like it is frantically moving but never really getting anywhere.

very interesting listen....i like it....film score use for sure (a touch of elfman in there i think....)....my nerves are too shot to listen to that style normally.

To quote Lee over at guitar-chords.org.uk

"Ionian, Lydian and Mixolydian all have a major flavour. Dorian, Phrygian and Aeolian all have a minor flavour. Locrian has a diminished flavour and this makes it a bit unstable sounding which is why it isn't used as often".  you really captured the essence of the Locrian mode....well done

• 2 weeks later...