No sound from midi

Michael Bauer

19 hours ago, Michael Bauer said:

User 905133 said, "Maybe he is saying: I am using the Casio keyboard strictly as a midi controller, but I don't use any of its sound-making features for either recording or playing back audio".  That's what I "think" I am doing - using it as a midi controller . . . .

. . . I had to have one [a midi interface] over 15 years ago, but it looks like I don't need one anymore. 

To use the Casio as a controller (or even as a sound source--if you wanted to), you do not need an external midi interface.  According to the manual the Casio has a built-in midi interface that shows up on your PC and in Cakewalk "automatically" when you plug the Casio into your PC's usb port. That's why Cakewalk "sees" the Casio. By default the MIDI Ports are named CASIO USB-MIDI (as your images show).

You could also use the external 1 IN / 1 OUT MIDI Interface cable if Windows will "see" it. 

The op has  the controller correctly set up there is no need for the M audio cable  The Casio is recognized by Cakewalk so that shows there’s a proper midi driver present  

The op needs to set the Casio as the input to a Simple instrument track and it should be fine  

3 minutes ago, Michael Bauer said:

Thanks folks for all of the help.  I deep sixed the track I was having trouble with and started another one.  I had no problems with that one.  Still strange that I wasn't able to discover what the problem was. 

Yeah--sometimes its a better use of time to move on. Glad to hear its working for you now.

Edited by User 905133

• 2 years later...
On 9/18/2021 at 6:49 PM, 57Gregy said:

Under Preferences>MIDI Devices, you should have something selected for input and output. Since this is a "no drivers needed" keyboard, it may be something like 'Generic USB MIDI Driver' If that is chosen for both input and output, you should be able to set up a MIDI track to record, record your performance, and then play it back through the Casio and hear it if the Casio has speakers or you have your headphones plugged into it.

If you have the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synthesizer selected for output, you should be able to hear it from your computer's speakers.

MIDI Devices 3.jpg

I don't have a choice or anything to check. But Window Media Player can play MIDI files, so there should be a MIDI device shown as a posible input