PA puts SILO on sale for 39.99

Brian Lawler

2 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Unfiltered Audio SILO $99.99

This product increases the level of your dynamic discount but cannot be discounted further due to a voucher.

Say Whaaaa?

Yes, log in to your PA account, then add to the shopping cart. Then use voucher SILO-3999. After that add another monthly loyality voucher if you have - and you will get 15EUR price for that now.

Just now, Andris Rinkis said:

Yes, log in to your PA account, then add to the shopping cart. Then use voucher SILO-3999. After that add another monthly loyality voucher if you have - and you will get 15EUR price for that now.

I was using the wrong voucher code.

• Great Idea 1

I'm getting it without bothering to try the demo. UfA, Glitchmachines, and Freakshow Industries are like that with me: when the cost hits $15, I'm buying it.

For the price of a movie ticket, which I haven't shelled out for in 2 years now, just running through the presets will be enough enjoyment.

edit: I dozed off and woke up at 11:53, still managed to snag it. Yeah, drones and sound design.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

Or if PA do another of their "basically getting things for free" no-limit sales this holiday season. Once I get TRIAD, there's nothing left that I want from them.

I ran through the presets, and a bit of advice for anyone who might find them on the shrill or crunchy side: as with all grain makers, turning the pitch knob even just a little yields big results. I noticed that a lot of their presets responded favorably to turning it just a few notches either way.

So if you do as I tend to do and cruise through the presets with a big pad looping, and you are underwhelmed, try touching the pitch knob just a little. Not unusual for UfA stuff, it has jillions of controls and variations, so it would be difficult to cover all of them in presets.

Also, if you just hit the preset advance buttons, I think it might skip past the Richard Devine subfolder, where the best ones are.

25 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

BYOME is amazing, so I figure I'll like TRIAD.

I would have already snagged TRIAD, but I demo'd it back before I had a handle on multi-band processing.

The crazy deep discount will come around again, I'm sure.

Owners of BYOME should have a standing offer for $49.99 TRIAD in their account. That is before any vouchers. 

• Thanks 1

Spent some more time with it, and I guess my earlier impression was not fairly obtained. When testing a creative effect, I often fire up a MIDI file with some long Xpand!2 pad chords playing and run through the presets. This usually works pretty well, but sometimes it doesn't for FX that reward more abrupt envelopes.

While SILO can bring something to the table with that kind of source material, if y'all ain't entirely sure what it's good for (and how could you be), put a rhythmic loop through it and stand back. I think the presets may have been designed around drum loops to put you in that "give me this thing NOW" frame of mind. Because doing that made me very happy for my $14.99 purchase and turned it into something other than just a possibly fun card in my Unfiltered Audio Pokemon deck.

Tips: go to UfA's SILO resources page, where they have a bunch of videos that aren't on the PA site about how to use this thing. The "Oddiction" presets that they link to from the page are already included with the install along with the Richard Devine set. However, this YouTube review includes a collection of 40 presets free for the downloadin'. Although the guy seems to think the plug-in is as well-suited to mangling Ali G impressions as I think it is for drum machines, his presets sound great. He gets some cool Dumpster Fire-ish sounds in his demo after he gets past Da Ali G.

• Thanks 3