MIDI Meta Data Tag Editor?

sadicus

MIDI files don't support tags? maybe MIDI 2.0 will add that feature.
yea that link downloads something other than the stated app. spmething called "okayweb" It's not like i didn't search before posting the question.
Sometimes people use custom utility apps or make there own but i think you answered the question by stating MIDI does not support tag data. thanks

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 8:57 AM, sadicus said:

MIDI files don't support tags?

MIDI files can include metadata text events which can be used to include text that will not be executed by all MIDI capable sequencers. That capability could be used to embed information like track names, events for specific sequencers or applications, copyright notices etc. and presumably could include the kind of information usually found in MP3 tags, but their location and content is not specified, so extracting that data from the file would require specifically looking for it. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 3:35 PM, slartabartfast said:

MIDI files can include metadata text events which can be used to include text that will not be executed by all MIDI capable sequencers. That capability could be used to embed information like track names, events for specific sequencers or applications, copyright notices etc. and presumably could include the kind of information usually found in MP3 tags, but their location and content is not specified, so extracting that data from the file would require specifically looking for it. 

Ah, that is interesting! Also is there an app that would know where to look for thst info? That's really what I'm interested in. Having MIDI files that can contain tag info and a way to search it.

I found this example in an archived Reaper forum post. I see this most often used for the Song Name.

In Reaper roll or list:

Add/Insert Event Text
Type: copyright notice.....

"Your Copyright Text"

+++++++++++++
This is the meta event type xFF x02 =Copyright Notice for MIDI Files
Normally on Track 1 Position 1.1, but you can insert this also elsewhere.

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sadicus said:

Ah, that is interesting! Also is there an app that would know where to look for thst info? That's really what I'm interested in. Having MIDI files that can contain tag info and a way to search it.

Don't know about a dedicated tool but findstr should work.

At the command line it would look something like

findstr /c:"Some Tag" /m *.mid