Help with Juno GI playing through usb and pc

ROBERT SCHECHTER

I have watched a few you tube videos, and I believe I have my preferences  set properly in Cakewalk to the Juno.  When I hit my juno keyboard I see little green dots showing in a couple of places in Cakewalk. What I am unable to do is hear anything live.  I have the usb cable going to my pc.... I don't seem to find the "monitor" button that people talk about.  I would appreciate very specific instructions for where this is. Or if that is not why I am not hearing audio playing through when I use my keyboard Please advise what else I might be doing wrong. I am a newbie. Obviously.  Any help is really appreciated.  I have no audio interface device. The Juno Gi booklet says i don't need one.  Also my pc is a windows computer.  It is not clear whether I need a 1\4 inch cable going to 1\8 jack to plug into my computer.  I would appreciate an answer as to whether that is necessary . I don't want to record anything right now. I just want to use my computer as an audio interface for my Juno Gi.. Thanks so much

Unless your Juno has an audio interface built into it then you are going to need to plugin the output, 1/4 output of the Juno, into an audio interface on your computer. The built in ones could work but is going to be a hastle to work with.  The USB connection of the Juno is most likely only transmiting MIDI messages to the computer and not any audio.  You could use this to trigger sounds on your computer.

I would recommend reading the Reference Guide starting with the Beginners sections.

image.png.b6bd46ae820f3fda6a7bc6b57a8803fa.png

• Great Idea 1

I have trouble understanding why if my quick start guide for my juno says I don't need an audio interface, why I would need one. But as I said I have taken a 1\4 inch to 1\8 jack into my green sound port, but still no sound even tho I see in Cakewalk there is some green dots activation in the main screen when I touch my juno Keyboard... Any other suggestions? I have already spent hours and hours researching this....  Any help is appreciated greatly.

According to the web the juno gi has a built in IF. If you are using that then you need to select it's driver inside CbB. You may need to configure the IF - roland/boss IFs differ. Speakers/headphones will be plugged into the juno and you need to setup an audio track for audio from the juno (track input) output to master and select Input Echo.

On 9/17/2021 at 3:48 PM, rsinger said:

According to the web the juno gi has a built in IF. If you are using that then you need to select it's driver inside CbB. You may need to configure the IF - roland/boss IFs differ. Speakers/headphones will be plugged into the juno and you need to setup an audio track for audio from the juno (track input) output to master and select Input Echo.

If you don't mind what is CbB? And could you kindly explain what CbB does? Thanks

On 9/18/2021 at 3:17 AM, ROBERT SCHECHTER said:

But as I said I have taken a 1\4 inch to 1\8 jack into my green sound port, but still no sound even tho I see in Cakewalk there is some green dots activation in the main screen when I touch my juno Keyboard...

AFAIK, the "green" sound port in onboard soundcard (or many general old soundcard) is Line Out port, not Line input port. You may want to direct your 1/4 to 1/8 inch to the blue port of the soundcard (Line in).

I don't have Juno GI, but I do have Juno DI and Roland XPS-10 which both do have internal (USB) MIDI interface, but not Audio interface. Your Juno GI probably has USB MIDI interface, but not Audio interface. So I assume "you don't need audio interface" means you don't need additional MIDI interface to record MIDI data to your computer. But you DO need separate audio interface in case you want to record the sound output of your Juno GI to your computer.