Update Requires Focusrite Driver Re-Install Every Time

John Ritter

If the Novation is a real ASIO driver and not a rebadged generic ASIO "driver" it should not be a problem.

However, it is a rebadged generic driver it could be a problem.

A simple test is -  export the Novation entry and delete it from the registry and see if the problem goes away.

If the problem persists, it is likely not the Novation driver. 

Add the Novation entry back by click on the .reg file created by the export.

• Like 1

Hmm, Just looking on the web site I did find this:

Impulse is class-compliant and USB bus-powered, so you can simply plug it into Mac or Windows and get started straight away, without the need for a power supply.

I wonder why it needs a ASIO audio driver? It doesn't make sounds, or does it? 

I would un install that driver,  and keep the Novation disconnected and see, like scook said, what happens. You can always re install the driver.  It is possible that this is the issue. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure class compliant audio would not use an ASIO driver.

Class compliant means to me means the device is plug and play using native Windows drivers.

I don't think disconnecting the Novation is necessary but it would not hurt to test with and without it connected.

Agreed. Its a bit strange that there is an ASIO driver showing for a Midi device. But then It might have ben part of installing one of the apps that came with it like Ableton. Just like if you install Cubase LE  that comes free with a lot of hardware you get that Steinberg Generic driver.  

I think generally these generic drivers are harmless on MacOS etc. , but Cakewalk seems a little hyper sensitive to it's systems environment. I have come to the conclusion that either use the ASIO driver that came with your interface, or use WASAPI if you use the computers system audio. 

I was just reading on the Zoom web site due to another thread here, that they often have issues with their driver not working because a system has the FL studio ASIO driver installed. They recommend removing the FL driver. So I've added that one to my "beware of" list.  

1 hour ago, scook said:

Pretty sure class compliant audio would not use an ASIO driver.

Class compliant means to me means the device is plug and play using native Windows drivers.

I don't think disconnecting the Novation is necessary but it would not hurt to test with and without it connected.

11 hours ago, John Vere said:

Hmm, Just looking on the web site I did find this:

Impulse is class-compliant and USB bus-powered, so you can simply plug it into Mac or Windows and get started straight away, without the need for a power supply.

I wonder why it needs a ASIO audio driver? It doesn't make sounds, or does it? 

I would un install that driver,  and keep the Novation disconnected and see, like scook said, what happens. You can always re install the driver.  It is possible that this is the issue. 

Thanks guys.  Yeah, it's a pure controller - doesn't make any sounds.  I will do the uninstall and see if that works.

• Like 1