TTS-1 synth Question

Tez

@Craig Anderton I read in your article on the TTS-1 synth, that it won’t function at function at 88.2kHz sample rates. I created a 44.1KHz project from a multi-track Midi file for the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, where I used all the non-percussion MIDI tracks in equivalent VSTis, but the percussion was simple enough to use the TTS-1s channel 10. I set all VSTs, VSTis and the TTS-1 in the project to “Upsample on Render” and bounced 2X to a track and the percussion came out fine, which implies that 88.2kHz sample rate works for the TTS-1 or CbB ignores upsampling for the TTS-1. So, I’m a tad confused. Would you kindly explain if I’ve got it wrong?  Thanks...

4 hours ago, Tez said:

@Craig Anderton I read in your article on the TTS-1 synth, that it won’t function at function at 88.2kHz sample rates. I created a 44.1KHz project from a multi-track Midi file for the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, where I used all the non-percussion MIDI tracks in equivalent VSTis, but the percussion was simple enough to use the TTS-1s channel 10. I set all VSTs, VSTis and the TTS-1 in the project to “Upsample on Render” and bounced 2X to a track and the percussion came out fine, which implies that 88.2kHz sample rate works for the TTS-1 or CbB ignores upsampling for the TTS-1. So, I’m a tad confused. Would you kindly explain if I’ve got it wrong?  Thanks...

There is a difference between upsampling and project sample rate. 

The project's sample rate determines the number of samples Cakewalk uses for audio playback. When you record or add audio files to your project, their sample rate is matched to the project sample rate by converting these files when importing samples to the project. 

Upsampling is the process of inserting zero-valued samples between original samples to increase the sampling rate. This kind of upsampling adds undesired spectral images to the original signal, which are centered on multiples of the original sampling rate. This is sometimes called “zero-stuffing." (UPSAMPLING should not be confused with OVERSAMPLING.) 

"Oversampling" use interpolation to achieve a higher resolution output than provided on their input. So I think you're confused by these two. 

I had been stealing some of  @Craig Anderton and @bitflipper knowledge over the years on every music site I had ever been on where they are members too and it won me an internship which im now one of 4 permanent residents at a well known studio that has branches worldwide. 

Search the old Cakewalk forum and right here in the new one. They give excellent free advice, which later turns into knowledge. Mix this in with the little one possesses and you'd be well equipped both in knowledge and creativity. But, Shhh! Don't tell them this. 😂 

To quote both of them: "THIS CAREER HAS NO LIMITS TO LEARNING." Fact! 

10 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

There is a difference between upsampling and project sample rate

Thanks for your extensive reply, but the point I was trying to make, if I understood correctly what CbB does for a plugin when set to “Upsample on Render” , namely lets you specify whether a VST or DirectX plug-in effect or instrument should be resampled at 2x the project sample rate when bouncing, which is exactly what I did for the TTS-1 in a project with 44.1KHz sample rate which implies for the render it was sampled at 88.2kHz sample rate and Mr Anderton said the TTS-1 won’t function at function at that rate, the purpose of doubling the sample rate is because "some plug-ins can produce unwanted artifacts when running at lower sample rates". What CbB does to achieve the higher rate weather it's to increase buffer sizes or "inserting zero-valued samples between original samples" I wouldn't know. Regardless of the mechanism the rate was doubled to a value of 88.2kHz and the TTS-1 worked just fine in this context.

Edited by Tez

1 hour ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Again: you're confused by this.

I am not confused, maybe I wasn't clear enough for you, as I said  before I set the plugin (TTS-1) to “Upsample on Render” which only works if the global "Plug-in Upsampling" is enabled, I thought it was clear that on the render that's what I did, enabled the global "Plug-in Upsampling". Ergo the sample rate was doubled for the TTS-1 on rendering  to a value of 88.2kHz, since the projects sample rate is 44.1KHz. I know how to use plugin upsampling, and as I said before at the doubled rate the TTS-1 worked fine, on render and  also playback if set to “Upsample on Playback” with "Plug-in Upsampling" enabled .  You can easily verify this with a 44.1KHz test project...

Edited by Tez

2 minutes ago, Tez said:

I don't believe so, maybe I wasn't clear enough for you, as I said  before I set the plugin (TTS-1) to “Upsample on Render” which only works if the global "Plug-in Upsampling" is enabled, I thought it was clear that on the render that's what I did, enabled the global "Plug-in Upsampling". Ergo the sample rate was doubled for the TTS-1 on rendering  to a value of 88.2kHz, since the projects sample rate is 44.1KHz. I know how to use plugin upsampling, and I said before at the doubled rate the TTS-1 worked fine, on render and  playback if set to “Upsample on Playback” with "Plug-in Upsampling" enabled .  You can easily verify this with a 44.1KHz test project...

But if the plugin don't support it - it wont get converted. That's what I've been trying to explain. You can clearly demonstrate it with the video I had made.