Something weird happened to my audio clip (it's hollow)

I had some comping issues, stuff going on with grouped clips being dragged around by accident and somehow wound up with a few clips that have their audio muted for certain parts of them.

I've tried messing with clip gain, but that didn't help.

It seemed to come about due to dragging edges around, clips overlapping at some point, and happened while I was untangling the mess I had made by forgetting I had a whole bunch of grouped clips in my take lanes while I was editing.

What is this and how do I undo it and just get it back to a normal bit of audio in a clip?

Here's a link to a screencap of it on my Google Drive:

Clip with a hollow center

As you can see, the silent part of it shows a full waveform, but sort of with the center hollowed out. I couldn't find any reference to this condition and how to cure it in the online or reference manuals.

Hey, thanks!

Now I'm wondering how my clips could have gotten partially muted without my having invoked the Mute tool. I suspect that it has something to do with me having been using the Smart Tool, which can morph into many different implements depending on what and where one is clicking.

Maybe since some of my clips wound up on top of one another in the mayhem, maybe some muting was applied automatically? Is that something that happens?