Reason 12 Price Increase ... DEAL?

Brian Lawler

The only way you can see this as a deal, is if your FOMO pushes you into buying Reason 12 upgrade now, before the price goes to $199 on October 1.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/reason-new-pricing

Marketing genius or insanity?  I made my decision to stick with Suite 11 (low-res and all) after a three month free trial of Reason + and then 12.  It looks like the end of the road for sure now, but then I am only using the Rack in other DAWs.  <edit> I felt the Suite 11 deal was a great value BTW.  Massive, great musical content.  I feel sorry for the "Reason as a DAW" faithful though.

Edited by Brian Lawler

4 minutes ago, Barrie said:

It already seemed like a small upgrade (several things that should have been fixed long ago) based on the $129 upgrade price, but at $199, I think it will be a hard sell.

Only Live's Suite tops that price.  Their next market strategy may be buy R12 then get + free for a year.  Not gonna bite on anything like that.

Edited by Paul Young

I'm glad I upgraded to 12 via the 11 Suite offer. That was a great deal. Rebirth and then Reason is what got me making music in the box way back when, after I gave up on using trackers, so there's a nostalgia factor to be sure, but I'm glad to still have Reason Rack in the toolbox in high res at last. 

Looking at some of the REASON Facebook groups this morning. Not too many happy campers about this saying pretty much, give us more money and we will improve reason ( from reason ).

I have Reason 11 intro and FL Studio. For disclosure, I will admit I dont use them much, I jumped on getting them at the time in sales, low prices purely to have for possible future use. 

I am still a bit puzzled about likes of Reason and FL Studio which - I think I am right - were born from the days of Tracker Sequencers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_tracker

The way they work is still sort of out there in comparison to other DAWS and in many ways over the last decade or so have been trying to come closer to what we might see as the standard DAW workflow and features? So my puzzlement is how they still have the popularity they have? You might ask the question why REASON recently and FL STUDIO always have a way of using them and there plugins inside other DAWS ( via plugins ) .. whats that about? It gave me a reason never to bother with reason and just use the Reason rack VST in Cakewalk to use Reason plugins inside another DAW. So why would likes of me bother upgrading? 

I just reckon Reason and to an extent FL are relying on a past userbase who came from a tracker background + casual users who in reasons case dipped in via sales and Lite versions, FL studio via the mad lifetime updates thing. So one might ask what is there real core userbase and how big is it discounting the former casual users?

BTW I will accept I might be way off the beam here and possibly completely wrong :D

Edited by aidan o driscoll

Cakewalk, Sonar, Cubase, and a few others, were all born out of multi-track MIDI sequencers. Later on they added audio via hard disk recording to their feature set, forming the modern concept of a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

But hard disk audio recording for personal computers was originally a separate line of audio only products.

Digital audio multi-track recording and editing was actually an off-shoot of recording to analog tape. Digital tape decks started appearing on recording consoles, and later computer based programs were available for hard disk recording, such as Digidesign  Pro Tools https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Tools , and SAW (Software Audio Workshop). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAWStudio

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Looking at some of the REASON Facebook groups this morning. Not too many happy campers about this saying pretty much, give us more money and we will improve reason ( from reason ).

I have Reason 11 intro and FL Studio. For disclosure, I will admit I dont use them much, I jumped on getting them at the time in sales, low prices purely to have for possible future use. 

I am still a bit puzzled about likes of Reason and FL Studio which - I think I am right - were born from the days of Tracker Sequencers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_tracker

The way they work is still sort of out there in comparison to other DAWS and in many ways over the last decade or so have been trying to come closer to what we might see as the standard DAW workflow and features? So my puzzlement is how they still have the popularity they have? You might ask the question why REASON recently and FL STUDIO always have a way of using them and there plugins inside other DAWS ( via plugins ) .. whats that about? It gave me a reason never to bother with reason and just use the Reason rack VST in Cakewalk to use Reason plugins inside another DAW. So why would likes of me bother upgrading? 

I just reckon Reason and to an extent FL are relying on a past userbase who came from a tracker background + casual users who in reasons case dipped in via sales and Lite versions, FL studio via the mad lifetime updates thing. So one might ask what is there real core userbase and how big is it discounting the former casual users?

BTW I will accept I might be way off the beam here and possibly completely wrong :D

I'd say so.  FL is one of the most popular DAWs out there.  There is n insane amount of demos downloaded weekly.  It is a very deep DAW.  They are far from ever going broke and wont be bought by another company.  Unlike Reason they stopped developing instruments and decided to work on the DAW. I've seen people create stuff other than the usual EDM stuff.

As for Reason they've done very little improving the workflow but they crank out proprietary instruments.  Some of their business decisions seem like desperation or managed by a group that is clueless about the market,  Look at the direction they've taken from offering a suite for $250 to now a sub model and a significant price increase on upgrades.  

• Like 1