EastWest Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition on sale

Yan Filiatrault

2 hours ago, TheSteven said:

@Brian Lawler you purchased OPUS on SSD... can you run it directly from the SSD?

Yes in deed.  It works just fine.  I installed the programs to my M2 and just plugged the EastWest SSD into an open port.  I found the EW provided instructions pretty clear as far as installing and using the SSD. It is slower than the M2 for sure, but I don't have the room (by a long shot) on that drive.  Such a bummer on getting the Mac version!  Happens to me every time at Plugin Boutique, but that is a 5 second fix :P     There is a little room to spare, so I moved my Hollywood Backup Singers over there to hang out with the Orchestra nerds.  They seem to be getting along OK 😎  There is a setting in the Player Opus that let's you just load the used samples rather than whole parts- that will save a lot of load time.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fleer said:

To put it bluntly, the Hollywood touch. And the Orchestrator. Actually, EastWest got dedicated assistance from some pretty famous software engineers turning their Play player into Opus, and it’s a magnum opus at that, pun intended. Don’t like ProjectSAM myself but I do love BBCSO (Pro) as well as Opus. BBCSO for more classical-style and Opus for big and Hollywood (although it’s perfectly capable to bring soft and sweet too). 

Shame we can t buy the player alone ... and shame we have to buy it anyway , we bought the last version to be serve one year later the real version that have to be bougth via a full product ... really greedy move imho ...

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, TheSteven said:

My bad... Turns out that I accidentally ordered MAC hard drive.
Arggg.   Lack of sleep takes out another turkey during this holiday season...

Question for anyone else who has ordered OPUS on hard drive - can you actually run it from that drive?
Just trying to figure out if I can extract the data and copy back to the SSD (once it's been reformatted) or do I have to install it on the SSD...

Are you also allowed  the option to download the library?

Yes, you can down load the whole 130 GBs library, if you are not upgrading from EW Hollywood Diamond. If you are upgrading it is, I believe, half.

I can't remember exactly when I upgraded from diamond the additional amount of the library that's added.                                          

48 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Are you also allowed  the option to download the library?

EW Support offered that option but I really don't want to have to download the whole 900+GB.

I'm using a trial version of MacDrive* to read the disk and transferring data to another external HD (platter hardware).
*One of EW support's suggestions.

When done I'll format the SSD drive EW sent me and transfer the data back to it.
I'll then have to figure where to go from there  i.e. am I missing the Windows installer & directions?  also I have HO & solo instruments installed on different drives and I want to free that space up.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 12:53 PM, Fleer said:

Best sound ever. I just love Opus and the Orchestrator. 

Hey dude! Downloaded last week & I agree... It's like a Spitfire/Orchestral Tools level of "The Orchestra"... Very flexible, intuitive, & sounds INCREDIBLE! 

Haven't used any of my EW crap for 7 or so years but could not resist buying JUST FOR THE ORCHESTRATOR ... Best $500 addition to my absurd 12TBs of orchestral libraries (insanity) in years

Roger just mentioned you commenting on this and figured I'd chime in. Hope ur doing well ❤️

Edited by Vastman
Add clarification
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 6:02 AM, Fleer said:

You did well, young padawan :)

BAD DEAL... Platinum cost me $499 from EW...Diamond is dinky... JRR ripoff as EW has it for less

Error! Brain fart... Disregard... Was thinking of their old orchestra

Edited by Vastman
Add clarification
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Vastman said:

Hey dude! Downloaded last week & I agree... It's like a Spitfire/Orchestral Tools level of "The Orchestra"... Very flexible, intuitive, & sounds INCREDIBLE! 

Haven't used any of my EW crap for 7 or so years but could not resist buying JUST FOR THE ORCHESTRATOR ... Best $500 addition to my absurd 12TBs of orchestral libraries (insanity) in years

Roger just mentioned you commenting on this and figured I'd chime in. Hope ur doing well ❤️

Great to have you here, Dana!

5 hours ago, Vastman said:

BAD DEAL... Platinum cost me $499 from EW...Diamond is dinky... JRR ripoff as EW has it for less

Umm I think you are talking about symphony orchestra.  As far as I know there is no platinum Hollywood opus orchestra.  Symphony orchestra is much older recording with less mic positions and round robin. It also is on sale for $199 right now at EW so if you paid $499 that was a really bad deal :)  on the other hand HOOP for $419 is an amazing deal.  Respectfully disagree hehe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kevin H said:

Umm I think you are talking about symphony orchestra.  As far as I know there is no platinum Hollywood opus orchestra.  Symphony orchestra is much older recording with less mic positions and round robin. It also is on sale for $199 right now at EW so if you paid $499 that was a really bad deal :)  on the other hand HOOP for $419 is an amazing deal.  Respectfully disagree hehe

OPUS originally came in platinum & gold versions - now only platinum is being sold and is just referred to as 'OPUS'
Edit: Oops, as mentioned in subsequent post it was Diamond & Gold, with Diamond version being what is sold now.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, kevin H said:

You're right! Brain fart... Was remembering the old SO... 🙄 Guess I blew 80$ by not checking jrr... 😳

Edited by Vastman
Add clarification
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Vastman said:

You're right! Brain fart... Was remembering the old SO... 🙄 Guess I blew 80$ by not checking jrr... 😳

Honestly, I’m new to EW world. So couldn’t tell you what is what or what came before what.  Fleer said jump, I did. This is also how I got in trouble in school for following the cool kids.   We used to go behind the tennis courts, ditch class, and talk about symphony libraries haha.

• Haha 4

@TheSteven When you have Opus squared away, go to the Brass / Tuba Solo and load the keyswitched patch.  I discovered that I had some incorrect and missing samples on my SSD that EW quickly resolved (sent me a file link).  I thought I was "fixing" the problem by pointing Opus to the directory, but it kept occurring.  Turns out if Opus can't find the samples, it just skips them after the retry, but it does write errors to a log file.  Support said there should have been a patch in the installer, but I didn't find one.

• Thanks 1

How often EastWest releases updates that you need to pay money for?

I know they have these 50-60% discounts pretty often so I don't feel pressured to buy anything right now, but I did subscribe to the Composer Cloud. I am entertaining the idea of subscribing to it just every now and then, but it's actually pretty expensive! The $19.99/month is a one year contract. A single month costs $29.99 and that's 30% off, so normally it's about $42.71 + 24% VAT. So unless I manage to get those one month subscriptions during a sale, that's almost $53 a month.

IF they release paid upgrades something like every other year and IF I subscribe to CC about once every three months and IF I need more than one or two libraries, then it's probably cheaper to go with the subscription. But if I need just one or two libraries and I need them more often then every now and then and it takes them 4-5 years to release the next paid upgrade, buying them is actually the better deal for me.