EastWest Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition on sale

Yan Filiatrault

• 2 months later...

Serves me right for checking emails in middle of night and ran into this insane deal.  

Agree, this type of discount on upgrades would be hard to pass up. Im really struggling here as I’m way over budget…but it’s probably too good to pass up.

10 minutes ago, kevin H said:

Serves me right for checking emails in middle of night and ran into this insane deal.  

Agree, this type of discount on upgrades would be hard to pass up. Im really struggling here as I’m way over budget…but it’s probably too good to pass up.

Me too...way over budget...and into December Budget...that's why I'm glad that they don't
have the upgrade...I'd be in trouble! 

I'm already making an inventory of disposable internal organs I can sell, as I'm really tempted by this AND Hollywood Choirs Diamond for $201.26.

Edit: Yes, brain is on the list since I obviously don't use it that much.

Edited by pseudopop
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

I don't get it - for the cost of that thing, you could have like 2 .5 years of Composer Cloud, no? (*based on subscription sale) I don't see the appeal - even looking at the update of $300, for sure in that 2.5 years they are going to want another paid update. So you buy one item, and then keep paying for updates, for one product - whereas you could have every product they make  for $20 / month for years. 

2 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

I don't get it - for the cost of that thing, you could have like 2 .5 years of Composer Cloud, no? (*based on subscription sale) I don't see the appeal - even looking at the update of $300, for sure in that 2.5 years they are going to want another paid update. So you buy one item, and then keep paying for updates, for one product - whereas you could have every product they make  for $20 / month for years. 

It's the warm, fuzzy feeling of owning something and getting a good deal. :)

Seriously, though, at these prices you make a valid point and one I have also considered. I'm going to test the Composer Cloud this weekend and make up my mind after that. I just have an aversion to subscriptions, so I tend to dismiss those as an option.

Just now, pseudopop said:

It's the warm, fuzzy feeling of owning something and getting a good deal. :)

If these libraries could be resold, I would agree! But I have no warm fuzzy feeling looking at the graveyard of sample libraries I own, that I over paid for and are now obsolete. Haha. (sad laughter)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

If these libraries could be resold, I would agree! But I have no warm fuzzy feeling looking at the graveyard of sample libraries I own, that I over paid for and are now obsolete. Haha. (sad laughter)

That's true. The smartest thing for me would probably be to write the orchestral pieces with a cheap sketching library, subscribe to CC for a month, finalize and render the pieces and then unsubscribe. Repeat when necessary. I could do that because I don't do this for a living and not all of my songs have orchestral stuff in them.

(There a lot of studies suggesting that humans are quite irrational when it comes to money and ownership, and I suppose this forum proves that well.)

Edited by pseudopop
  • Great Idea 1

On 12/2/2021 at 8:04 AM, TheSteven said:

Picked up Opus upgrade on SSD during BF sale - it arrived yesterday and the drive is bad...  ☹️

My bad... Turns out that I accidentally ordered MAC hard drive.
Arggg.   Lack of sleep takes out another turkey during this holiday season...

Question for anyone else who has ordered OPUS on hard drive - can you actually run it from that drive?
Just trying to figure out if I can extract the data and copy back to the SSD (once it's been reformatted) or do I have to install it on the SSD...

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Zo said:

What s so special versus projecvsam , spitfire ect ...?

To put it bluntly, the Hollywood touch. And the Orchestrator. Actually, EastWest got dedicated assistance from some pretty famous software engineers turning their Play player into Opus, and it’s a magnum opus at that, pun intended. Don’t like ProjectSAM myself but I do love BBCSO (Pro) as well as Opus. BBCSO for more classical-style and Opus for big and Hollywood (although it’s perfectly capable to bring soft and sweet too). 

• Like 1