Jyri T.

Normalize clip to RMS/LUFS

This is an edited/updated version of the original post. The following 4 posts refer to the original one.

Hi bakers!

I would really like to see a feature to normalize clips to a certain RMS/LUFS-level in an easy and fast way so that you don't have to do it separately (read: tediously) with a third-party plug-in.

It should be simple enough as it only needs a few parameters.

• Normalize to: X
  • Normalize by: peak/RMS/LU/K-system/whatever
  • If overs: Reduce gain/clip/limit/cry for help

There could be some advanced options as well.

• Normalize to (RMS only): Average/peak
  • RMS time window (RMS only): (default: 700ms)
  • Merge clips on same track? Keep separate/Merge together
  • Apply clip trimming before normalizing? (default: Yes)
  • Do I love Cakewalk? Yes/Indeed

This way you could easily set up a project with a schnizzleton of clips with audio levels all over the place to a relatively smooth starting point in no time.

Now you need to do this manually and I still don't understand why you have to do it in Sonar since it really is no difficult feat to program and I'm sure many of us would appreciate this.

PS. If normalizing is NOT your thing, feel free to keep it to yourself. This thread is NOT called "Normalizing – good or bad".

Edited by Jyri T.

If you select the clip you wish to normalize, then from the Global menu, select Process/Apply Effect/Normalize, does that not do what you want it to?

(this action is also available as a keystroke binding)

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

If you select the clip you wish to normalize, then from the Global menu, select Process/Apply Effect/Normalize, does that not do what you want it to?

(this action is also available as a keystroke binding)

Yes I was about to say the same thing...select clips

Press Alt - Shift - N or use the menu

Normalize.gif

image.png

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw

One thing to bear in mind when using Process->Normalize  / ALT + SHIFT + N, is that you should consider apply trimming or bounce to clip(s) to each clip individually before normalizing it. 

The reason being, is that when a clip is split or slip-edited, the remaining parts of the clip are still there even though hidden, and will be included in what is being considered when normalizing. This is especially true for split clip, where you've actually got two copies of the entire clip when it's split.

Of course, after apply trimming or bounce to clip(s), you won't be able to slip edit the hidden parts back in any more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh zut alors!

I didn't recall the Normalize function DOES keep the clips separate. Sorry! My bad!

Yet the main point is the ability to normalize by RMS or LUFS. The inbaked function ONLY has the peak value option and it's not enough any more IMH-ishO.

Jyri

Edited by Jyri T.

I surprised nobody point this out. 

Peak level and LUFS/RMS are completely different things. 

Peak level can be controlled with simple attenuation or volume/ level controls. This is none destructive. 

Normalize takes the level to a pre set peak value and destructively renders the audio. 

But one tiny transient in a clip or file means the whole thing is only normalized to that one peak. 

LUFS / RMS are effected by peak level up to that max peak. You can turn up the audio until it’s maxed out at   -.01 db and that’s as loud as it can go. Beyond that you have to apply compression/limiting. Which is none destructive. 

What you’re asking for is a Compressor/Limiters that is destructive. ?

Mastering is an art form. It is one of the highest regarded fields in the audio industry. It’s getting easier to DIY but for best results I still highly recommend studying the topic and understanding your tools that have now been handed to the masses free. 😮

Edited by John Vere