Normalize clips and exported audio files to RMS/LUFS

Jyri T.

3 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

going simpler - you set up a buss compressor, limiter, and loudness meter on your master - set it to get what you want, then export. probably could create a PC preset that loads that and in range within seconds. 

yeah but you'd listen to it first to get the balances right, right?

5 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

yeah but you'd listen to it first to get the balances right, right?

oh, that's just crazy talk now 🤪of course you don't simply crank things up until you think you have the balance right. you can of course "mix into" your loudness setup so you're not shearing peoples hair off from too much "sizzle" and "air" as well as creating mud... or alternate things - mix quiet, check loud, mix quiet, check loud, etc etc and of course cross-check on as many systems as you have available - mono, car, VSX, cracked-door while in the kitchen, portable usb speaker, club PA, TV, TV + surround system, cellphone speaker. etc

same way the Beatles did it.

• Like 1

I guess it’s this

“ I don’t want to learn about the craft of audio engineering, I just want to push a button and get the same results a well trained engineer would get”! 

Achieving a balanced , dynamic mix as well as achieving a target LUFS involves listening and skill. 
All an AI based plug in can do is squash your mix to oblivion. 
It’s like those Izotope plug ins always make my mix sound way worse than I can by using my ears and knowing what to do to get what I want.
I’ve been mixing and mastering music for over 40 years and I’m still learning. 
Best new tool for me is the You Lean loudness meter. 
I’ll have to test the Sonar concrete limiter and see if it is as good as the Loud Max. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 4:44 PM, pwal³ said:

ok, to engage politely, why would you rely on an export setting for such a thing? for a whole song, it's mastering step, for an individual track it will be affected by whatever song it's brought into, so will get changed anyway... and tbf i was if course thinking about the original definition of normalize rather than the more recent lufs/rms definition variations - lufs/rms should be used in context  🤷‍♀️

/goodluck and have fun :)

To engage politely back atcha, I didn't know there are limitations for how you can/can't use Cakewalk. Many of us use CW for a variety of jobs, including mastering (or in my case, "mastering").

Altho you could use the normalization thingy for keeping different versions of mixes at the same level in order to avoid loudness bias when comparing "Song Final" w/ "Song Final Final" w/ "Song Final Final Final" w/ "Song Final Final Final Final" w/ "Song Final Final Final Final DEFINITELY FINAL".

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 7:58 AM, John Vere said:

I’ll have to test the Sonar concrete limiter and see if it is as good as the Loud Max. 

I just did and it is actually even better. So now Sonar  includes 2 first class brick wall  limiters.