sending midi messages to arduino uno over usb serial

Nicholas

hey everyone, I want to send midi note on and off messages to my arduino, has anybody here ever done this? if so how in the cakewalk DAW software itself could I achieve this? Ive searched everywhere online and couldnt find anything, this is my last hope really, i can provide more information on request, thank you!

3 hours ago, Nicholas said:

hey everyone, I want to send midi note on and off messages to my arduino, has anybody here ever done this? if so how in the cakewalk DAW software itself could I achieve this? Ive searched everywhere online and couldnt find anything, this is my last hope really, i can provide more information on request, thank you!

I dabbled with midi processing on a Mega 256 a few years back.  Early on I used a joystick port style midi interface cable.  Later on I used an earlier version of the hairless midi/serial utility (https://projectgus.github.io/hairless-midiserial/). I did not use a DAW for these projects (just PC, arduino, and hardware).

I have seen write-ups on newer techniques where the arduino can be setup to be seen as a midi class-compliant device.  I never did that, but I believe the idea is that if Windows sees it as a device, its available across the board.

I generally hard coded my midi stuff, but I know others who used midi libraries. Also, I mainly used my Mega as the source of midi data, whereas you want to send the data from the DAW to the Arduino.

Perhaps others here have more experience with the kinds of thing you want to do and can be more helpful. Not sure where you looked online, but I can't believe no one else has tried what you want to do.  

Edited by User 905133
to remove excess lines at the bottom

I've done it, and to be honest I'd advise against using the Arduino to receive MIDI - it's fine at sending MIDI, but I found it's too slow / memory is too small to receive stuff. 

I constantly got buffer overflows, and when I protected against that, it just ended up losing MIDI data.

You'd be better off using a Raspberry Pi zero.  The price is comparable, but the difference in speed  and memory is massive.  It's also way easier to program, and you've several options of languages.