It Don't Mean Nothing At All

RexRed

Thanks JohnBee and Jack!

I just bought a cheap new bass guitar and I am finding that real bass is a great addition to my songs.

It is amazing what you can find new on Amazon for around 100 dollars.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MZTXSH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

This thing is more beautiful in person than it is in the Amazon photos.

Once again Jack you always come through with a very spot on critique. I thank you for your honesty, it is very helpful indeed.

Back to Cakewalk to fix stuff.

👍😊

Rex , totally agree with johnbee , Great harmony work as well. The bendy guitar worked Very nicely . I believe the bass can sound even better with a little EQ work (highs) , and eventually a little de essing on the main vox , if you don't lose the "air" when doing it. This was very nice and relaxing , I knew I would like it when the very first vocal phrase came in. 

Lovely ..   mark

• Like 1

That is one sweet vocal, I didn't find the bass line too busy - the lead guitar I enjoyed, but maybe there's scope for something more or a little different? I'm not quite sure what, perhaps played on a nylon strung might be the right vibe... 🤔

My minor crits and ramblings aside, another great job.

Andy

• Like 1

Hello David, that is a Les Paul "style" guitar (2 humbuckers).  I was thinking of using a Strat but my hand just grabbed the Les Paul and so I went with that.

Thanks for the awesome comments peeps.

I have been listening to the bass line and I know what you are all referring to.

The bass seems to have an overpowering and distractive vibe to it.

I'm considering my options right now.

One option is to turn it down.  That could lessen the warmth factor it (basses in general) adds to the song.

Another option is try and EQ it to make it more distant. Drop the midrange.

Another option is to take out a few notes. Simplify it in areas and then only let the current base note arrangement stand in certain areas like the chorus.

I am leaning towards the last option because it also has a repetitive feel that I would like to fix also.

I will update you when I get a chance to address this issue with some changes. 

Currently it is "okay" the way it is but fixing the bass is something I feel it really needs.

Thanks a lot for the critiques/suggestions, it is helps a lot in getting these songs right.

My problem was I was using my big 15 inch speakers to monitor the song and the bass problem is more apparent in my earbuds. 

So, I will fix this.

Thanks for any song purchases, someone has been buying one song a day for months. :)  Kudos to you! 💓

If you purchase a song, that entitles you to download subsequent revisions also. Revisions usually have a consecutive number in the filename because I replace the file. This song is up to revision 7 already. I revise my catalogue often to fix problems that arise or become apparent over time. If you see/hear any more songs in my catalogue that could use some love, feel free to speak up! ReverbNation is the dynamic and ever changing place to purchase these songs because I am constantly refining them there. Purchasing one song gives you access to all future versions of that song.

Best Regards!

RexRed

I changed the bassline in some spots (about half of them) to a different pattern with less notes.

I hope you like the change peeps!

I am hopefully going to move on now to a different song I just wrote.

Thanks for the help, it is always a pleasure!

👍💗🎶

Okay version 9 just went up.

I did a final remix and fixed the rhythm  guitars.

This song has all three telecaster, semi hollow body electric (P9s) and 12 string guitar rhythms.

The rhythms were all over the place and I fixed the timing so they track together.

When they were out of sync they sounded distant and metallic like they were fighting each other with phase.

This gave the song a sort of echo that sounded like too much reverb and bad EQ. Wishy washy mash of sounds.

Now it seems right, sort of creamy and pad like.

I fixed a lot of other stuff, drum volumes, bass riff volumes micromanaged most elements and remastered it. Fixed vocal timing.

Unless something stands right out I think it is done for now.

Thanks again for your help peeps!

Best to you all!

RexRed

On 9/12/2021 at 1:17 PM, RexRed said:

once again Jack you always come through with a very spot on critique. I thank you for your honesty, it is very helpful indeed.

arranging/chords/times are me forte and i have relative pitch(a real pain in me ears).i hear stuff most people don't have a clue about.now when it comes to mixing /mastering i'm only just learning how to see/hear that stuff!!!!!!!

as i perceive this forum it's a safe place for all us to learn/hear/share and grow.i appreciate your comments rexred!!1jack c.

• Like 1

I welcome your honest critique Jack, I have found it very useful in shaping the music and getting it polished. The bass comment you made I should have realized that myself. I usually make two bass lines and interleave them every 4 or 8  bars so a song does not get monotonous. Since I played this on the bass I sort of forgot my method here. You put me right back on track. 

Your other suggestions all got some attention also.

Best to you and thanks for your insight, it is a great resource for my efforts!

Take care and hope to hear from you soon (on my next song).  👍😊🎶

Best to you all!

RexRed