Requests: Grid lines and waveform colors

giovannibuchelli

I've been learning to love the way Cakewalk looks, but still there are some things that I would love to see implemented:

* The option to change the default coloring scheme from black background/colored waveform to colored background/black waveform.

* Waveform outline color available to change in preferences/colors, or waveform outline changed automatically to black if the coloring scheme is changed as in the first request.

* An additional option in View/Display/ Vertical grid lines: Behind waveform but in front of media background, so we can see the grid lines but not as strong and intrusive as when they are in front of the waveform or the midi notes.  Right now there are basically two options for the grid lines in Track view: Too visible, or not visible at all. I want the grid lines just to be visible enough.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by giovannibuchelli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mandatory Bump.

With the grid lines in front of clips, it looks like everything is chopped into small pieces. I really don't like how it looks.

And if you put the grid lines behind clips, you can't see those lines because media backgrounds have no transparency and the tracks and the media backgrounds have the exact same height.

In Reaper, Cubase and others, media backgrounds have a little bit of transparency, and also the tracks are a bit taller than the media backgrounds, so you always see a bit of the grid lines, and that's just enough.

Oh, and the color scheme, please. I can't think of any other DAW with black media backgrounds and colored waveforms. Please give us the option to have by default colored media backgrounds and black (or white) waverforms.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 3 weeks later...

YES! Transparent Clip Backgrounds. (Theme Editor already has transparency for colors built in but few colors can actually use it.)

EDIT: Default track background colors can be set and maintained after bouncing in Theme Editor for each theme.

But a more global approach might be to return Track Backgrounds to the Preferences Color menu where they can also be saved in a Color Set.clr file and used by all themes.

Edited by sjoens
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2021 at 12:31 PM, giovannibuchelli said:

You figured out what?

Possibly that assigned Track Background colors in Theme Editor are retained even after bouncing,

This method is theme specific, tho. There is no universal/global approach to change background defaults for all themes, which is what some of us want.

A workaround for Mercury & Tungsten is to open them in T.E., set your colors and save as a new theme.

Edited by sjoens

• 3 weeks later...

Montly bump.

I can live with the current coloring scheme, but I would really love to see a better displaying of the grid lines. In almost every other DAW, the grid lines go in front of the media background, but behind the Waveforms and the Midi notes. In Cakewalk, having the grid lines in front of the media information looks weird and distracting.

Also, I would love to have some horizontal grid lines in the Midi controller pane. There's one for the 127 mark, but would be great to have lines for 96, 64 and 32 as well.

Edited by giovannibuchelli
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2021 at 2:20 PM, giovannibuchelli said:

In the third request, a little bit of transparency in the media background would also work, so when the grid lines are behind clips, we'd still have a hint of where they are.

I found making the grid lines lighter or darker so they're less aggressive but still visible gives a similar effect.

1373071146_gridlines1.png.ade161c420a4f992d44c60ad9f1ab504.png

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 4:33 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Just want to make sure you know: you can do this on a per-clip basis using Inspector.

Yes.  But I would like to keep this permanently.  I did finally figure out how to use the plugin in designer and now I am fairly happy about it.  It was more painful that I would have liked.  Still a big cakewalk fan!

• 1 year later...