MIDI: easy octave shift

Grzegorz Moskal

Question

9 answers to this question

The Transpose dialog once you set it to any number (example +12)  stays like that until you completely close Cakewalk.

Often I leave my DAW on for days at a time and just put it to sleep when I stop for the day. It's off line when I do this. 

I have set the "H" key to open the Transpose dialog. So for me it's pretty straight forward and only a few moves. Probably like 5 seconds. 

15 hours ago, John Vere said:

The Transpose dialog once you set it to any number (example +12)  stays like that until you completely close Cakewalk.

Often I leave my DAW on for days at a time and just put it to sleep when I stop for the day. It's off line when I do this. 

I have set the "H" key to open the Transpose dialog. So for me it's pretty straight forward and only a few moves. Probably like 5 seconds. 

You see, functionality is what saves you that 0,5 sec. If you have to repeatedly do something taking 0,5 sec longer, it just drives you crazy.
Yes, I could just shift+drag, but I would need to specifically aim for the octave, which takes much longer than pressing a bind. Same for event inspector.
Yes, I could use Process>Transpose>+12, but again it would take longer than pressing a bind. And I have to change it from 12 to -12, if transposing down. 

Edited by Grzegorz Moskal

On 9/13/2021 at 1:28 AM, Grzegorz Moskal said:

Ok, got the scripts working. Now, how do I bind them?

EDIT: found it, didn't expect to have the list of scrips in the preferences.

Preferences(advanced) | Customisation | Keyboard Shortcuts > Area: Global Bindings

Your CAL scripts will be at the bottom - just scroll down until you find your specific script. 

In the left  , select the key combination (Or use Locate Key).  In the right column, select your script.  Then click “Bind”.  You should see a line connecting the key combination to the action.

When done, I like to export my key bindings to a file as a backup.

As long as you have saved your CAL scripts in the folder as defined in Preferences | File | Folder Locations > CAL Files (5th down), your scripts should appear in that list to the right.