Activation is very annoying

Steven de Jong

42 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Thanks for the info about what "logging in" actually means in this context, that it's a one-way street of having a cookie, not something where the program has to constantly communicate. I've been told by someone who (I assume) knows more than I do that programs make frequent calls to hardware copy protection dongles...I thought maybe it was something like that.

Oh God no, the cookie is only used to remember the users identity so that it doesn't have to prompt you to log in everytime we want to access something from Bandlab. 

42 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

As to the Overloud plug-ins, it's only the ones that were exclusive to Cakewalk, and then when Gibson folded, Overloud generously gave activation codes so that the plug-ins could be used in any program. After updating Cakewalk, the plug-ins go back to being exclusive to Cakewalk, and they no longer work in projects in other programs (e.g., Vegas). Calling up a project that uses them gives that program's "missing plug-in" error message, so I have to re-activate them. Maybe I'm missing something, but it happens every time I update. I'll update to 2021.06 #3 (been meaning to anyway), see what happens, and report back. Maybe the changes you've made have influenced that aspect as well. 

The mystery of the overloud plugins activation is most likely because we install the original overloud TH3 installer which may be resetting the activation to what it used with SONAR. So this is probably why you see the custom code getting clobbered. Why it worked this time is when  you updated you got our "thin installer" which only installed the program and anything that changed. This is another reason to update frequently since the updater will only get the differences rather than the full program installer :)

16 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

I would certainly have no problem if BandLab wanted to make all my Sonar FX Chains available to users. I don't know if they fall in any legal gray area involving Gibson, but if not...feel free to include them with the program.

No legal issues with Gibson, but your original FX chains referenced a lot of SONAR exclusive plugins which we don't ship with BL. So it did not make sense to include those chains out of the box since they would reference missing plugins for most users.

21 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Oh God no, the cookie is only used to remember the users identity so that it doesn't have to prompt you to log in everytime we want to access something from Bandlab. 

The mystery of the overloud plugins activation is most likely because we install the original overloud TH3 installer which may be resetting the activation to what it used with SONAR. So this is probably why you see the custom code getting clobbered. Why it worked this time is when  you updated you got our "thin installer" which only installed the program and anything that changed. This is another reason to update frequently since the updater will only get the differences rather than the full program installer :)

No legal issues with Gibson, but your original FX chains referenced a lot of SONAR exclusive plugins which we don't ship with BL. So it did not make sense to include those chains out of the box since they would reference missing plugins for most users.

More good info, thanks! But you can still use the collections of FX Chains for Sonitus plug-ins. I did quite a few of those to accommodate users who didn't have Platinum. They might help people appreciate the Sonitus plug-ins more.