Plugin Doctor - plugin analyzer

jesse g

Hey All,

When I load some plugins and give them the same settings, I notice  that they don't all give me the same outcome when I play back the specific section of music that was affected by the FX. I asked a friend that I know who has a commercial studio and he referred me to Plugin Doctor.   He showed me how it worked and I was amazed how two similar EQ plugins gave me different results with my EQ curves using Plugin Doctor.

Main Website ~~> $29.00  DDMF Audio Store

Discounted at Full Compass for $19.00 by ~~~>  Full Compass 

Watch the Tutorial.

Enjoy.

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, telecode 101 said:

is this a good price? is this of use only if you are a developer?

For what it does, it is a very good price. Ideally developers would write their own analyses for this sort of thing during development but I would guess many do not, so the ability to check your work with an accurate, dependable tool for $29 is crazy low. I'm sure different people here have day jobs where relevant debugging tools cost thousands of dollars.

From what I understand PD does what it does well too. Whether the average musician/songwriter/producer needs it is another question. 

Are you too happy with your current plugins and either want an excuse to buy new ones or the ability to go on internet forums and complain about EQ cramping, something you weren't too familiar with in your last 20 years as an audio producer but is now the single biggest impediment to your success? 

On the other hand avoid it if ignorance is bliss; you might find out that some $99+ "analog emulations" are uncomfortably close to linear eqs that could be captured with q-clone, or especially other plugins. I think PD been used to tear down soundtoys decapitator, used all over the place, because it was discovered it doesn't oversample so now has lost its magic.

Edited by mister_tea
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, mister_tea said:

I think PD been used to tear down soundtoys decapitator, used all over the place, because it was discovered it doesn't oversample so now has lost its magic.

And that right there is what I’m talking about….people that swore by a plug-in and could hear it add life all of a sudden don’t after using PD.  So did they ever hear it and just said they did or is their mind now playing tricks and they stop hearing it if indeed they did ? Hahah.  This plug-in will drive wedges between grandparents and grandsons/daughters, lead to divorces, destruction of property, etc heheh

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I watched the video and came to the conclusion that since it's likely that not all EQs are created equal I can honestly say that hoarders collectors of plugins like me are not wrong for owning so many different EQs, compressors and limiters. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, jackson white said:

The visualization of some of the finer points of mixing can be interesting (i.e. curves, harmonics, aliasing, etc). Price is fair and can pay for itself by disarming hyperbolic marketing copy/pretty pixels for a plugin, especially for something like EQs.

(OT, @telecode 101 what are you using for a lap steel?)

I use a coupe of old nationals and a new gretch.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, treesha said:

Would this be useful for compression or just eq? 

Check out Dave’s (bitflipper) review/examples he shared in his article a couple comments above. It’s very complete.

Here is another tutorial I referenced in the past that had good step by step guides fo each type of analysis.  

https://medium.com/@olehc/how-to-test-your-audio-plugins-using-plugindoctor-b24a923f451a

Both include examples of compressors.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Not really compared, but it seems that Bertom EQ Curve Analyzer it's just a curve analyser - this would be equivalent to Linear Analysis on PD, but PD does more things, like Hamonic Analysis and Compressor Analysis.

But Bertom seems really nice too, and runs inside the DAW fo what I see (PD s a distinct app)

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 2:45 PM, bitflipper said:

I use this tool on a regular basis, to better understand what a plugin is actually doing under the hood.

Here's my nerdy review of version 1.0 from back in 2018.

Nicely written review Bitflipper,  it covers all the bases.   I just wished you named some of those bad plugins you were testing.   LOL, especially the $249.00 one, If I own that one, I might be angry right now.    

Do you download the free trial of the plugin and test it first with Plugin Doctor to ensure you are getting your money's worth?

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 2:25 PM, Bapu said:

I watched the video and came to the conclusion that since it's likely that not all EQs are created equal I can honestly say that hoarders collectors of plugins like me are not wrong for owning so many different EQs, compressors and limiters. 🙂 

😄

On 9/11/2021 at 8:45 PM, bitflipper said:

I use this tool on a regular basis, to better understand what a plugin is actually doing under the hood.

Here's my nerdy review of version 1.0 from back in 2018.

It is useful for most effects and it has a special compression mode.. You can see a compressor’s noise/hum, distortion etc and visualize attack and release settings.

Edited by Joakim