Which MIDI channels for VSTs like Kontakt and SINE?

linkbekka

Windows 10 desktop PC / Cakewalk version up to date. Keystation 49 Mk 3 controller.

I`m not quite a newbie, but, boy...am I foxed by this one!

I am using Kontakt Player and Sine by Orchestral Tools. But although I can hear them when I use the mouse on the on screen keyboard -- I hear nothing when using the controller -- although pressing a key is shown on the on screen keyboard. I haven`t changed any midi channel settings for any of the other VSTs I installed like Ample Guitars and DSK guitars and LABS as well as all the instruments that came with Cakewalk -- all of which respond perfectly to the controller.

But Kontakt and Sine are not responding to the controller.  I`m assuming it must be a midi channel mismatch. 

It`s driving me insane. There must be something very simple that I`m doing wrong. I`ve searched for days online with no answer. I`m hoping yu Cakewalk experts can point me in the right direction.

(Someone mentioned the free Kontakt Player is like a demo version and only works for 15 minutes. I have not noticed this.)

Many thanks.

midi 1.jpg

midi 2.jpg

For a Kontakt instrument you also have to set the midi channel in the player as well as have Cakewalk's track. I have full kontak so maybe the player is different but in general you leave the track at omni and in kontakt you set the channel that the instrument uses to the midi channel you want. I think it can be set as omni as well but it defaults to midi channel 1 for the first instrument, midi channel 2 for the 2nd instrument etc.

Your midi controller needs to be set to transmit the same midi channel as set in kontakt if it is set to something other than omni in kontakt.

Channel 1 is the most common default. By default, Kontakt always assumes channel 1 for the first loaded instrument, then assigns channel 2 to the second instrument, and so on.

Omni, btw, means the instrument ignores channel numbers altogether and responds to any MIDI coming in regardless of what channel it's on.

There is a quick test to see if the instrument is "seeing" MIDI. In the instrument header, to the left of where you set the MIDI channel, is a little indicator that flashes whenever the instrument receives MIDI data. If it's not flashing while you play back your project, that usually suggests a channel assignment mismatch.

Your problem may not be a channel assignment issue, though. It may be a quirk of the instrument. Some, for example, require at least one CC1, CC7 or CC11 event before they make any sound. I am not familiar with Sine specifically, but its name suggests it's an orchestral tool and these CC requirements are common among  many orchestral instruments.