For fans of cute cat pix...

bitflipper

5 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

Nothing quite like spending hours diagnosing a fault, thinking you’ve found and fixed it, only to release the magic smoke; again. 
Acquainted well with magic smoke I am.   

I used to work for my brother back home in the NJ/PA area. He has a cash register/P.O.S., and copier sales and service company. We also did calculators and scales. I remember a time when we would go out and upgrade the old Victor printer calculators with an LCD display. We even sold service contracts on calculators at banks. Times sure have changed.

We got a call one time at an old fashioned style general store. Actually this place. It was around 1991 iirc. It was kind of like a swinging door saloon type entrance and the door was always open. The owner called in a panic state one time at his busy lunch time hour. A squirrel got in and they tried to hit it with a broom and get it out of the store. It jumped up on the counter and on top of the cash register and pissed in it. He said it blew up and a big white cloud of smoke came billowing out of it and we had to come right away.

I picked it up and brought it back to the shop and miraculously I repaired the main board with parts off of other old damaged boards I kept around for spare parts.  It was really common for the IC's to go bad for the LCD displays on those early electronic cash registers so I always kept PCB's around for spare parts. 74SL04 gates were really common. I can remember IC numbers from the 90's but I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Ain't that something? LOL. I went through a lot of them as well as many others.

In case you've ever wondered, squirrel piss smells like super concentrated walnut extract. Plus it was burned a little which gave it even greater earthy tones.

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

I've never been a cat person myself but this wild stray showed up at my door a few years ago. I think she was a Siamese but I'm not sure. My wife and I were sitting there watching TV and I looked at her and said my ears must be getting worse because I swear to God I hear a cat meowing. She heard it too so I went outside and there it was way out in the yard begging for food but wouldn't come near me. She was skin and bone and her one eye was messed up. I started calling her Blinky. I would crush up our dogs food and put a bowl out with some water for her and she would sneak up and eat it. Her eye healed up in a couple weeks and eventually I got her to come up to me. She started hanging around all the time and I thought great, I have a cat now. I called the vet made an appointment to get her fixed, get her shots and chip, and bought some really good cat food he recommended. When it was time to feed her that night she sniffed the bowl, took one kibble in her mouth, spit it out, and ran off in to the woods and I never saw her again. I couldn't believe it. My wife thinks someone scooped her up and kept her inside once I got her back to health and looking good. She was a beautiful cat. This is her. Her eyes were awesome.

Blinky.jpg