For fans of cute cat pix...

bitflipper

A dose of reality. This is what my grandson's cat did to my home theater JBLs yesterday. She'd been using the grill to climb on, the grill popped off and she probably fell, got angry and took it out on the driver.

I don't blame the cat, and am proud of my grandson for immediately stepping up and ordering a replacement speaker. Which wasn't cheap. 

BeanSpeaker.jpg

• Haha 1

I used to fix blown PA speakers between sets with red glitter fingernail polish and some of that surgical gauze wrap. I used to use that red glitter fingernail polish for a lot of work related stuff like that. Cheaper and more effective than Loctite. Wow! I spelled it right the first time according to the spellchecker!

I know I just set myself up there but it's true so go 'head. I can take it. 😁

And now, if you'll pardon me, after having several things rammed in that general vicinity this week, I have to go get one final needle rammed in my butt at the doctors office in 20 minutes. 

Ta ta.

13 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

I used to fix blown PA speakers between sets with red glitter fingernail polish

And here's how the first part of that conversation went.......

Mrs Shane:  Honeybunny, is there something you need to tell me.......?

Shane: No, why would you say that..?

Mrs Shane: Well, I was just dusting your guitar case and I couldn't help but notice that you have several bottles of red glitter fingernail polish in there underneath the spare strings.......

Shane: Oh er um, well, yeah, that's um, well because  I err, I um.....

• Like 1

I've destroyed a few cones over the years. I'm philosophical about it. It's an excuse to upgrade.

At least a blown speaker gets to go out in a blaze of glory. Not like an amp emitting smoke during a gig. That's unpleasant.

As an experienced electronics technician, I can tell you that all electronics are powered by magic smoke. It is injected in the final phase of manufacture. I know this because if the magic smoke ever escapes, the device ceases to work. If you don't believe it, try drilling into your CPU and see what happens.

• Haha 1

My next speaker re-cone challenge  is a pair of blown Altec 604's that I've had in storage for better than 25 years.  I should play it smart and just send them off to Great Plains. Also have a pair of Voice of the Theatre's that need to be re worked.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 11:37 AM, bitflipper said:

try drilling into your CPU and see what happens.

BRB, hold my beer, what could go wrong?, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Edited by Bapu
  • Haha 1

If you decide to change your mind, here's a company I use. They sell both paper and cloth based cones. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how to do it if they have the cone for your speaker.

I recently re coned the rear subwoofer in an older Toyota Avalon. That car uses a custom speaker with a special independent amp. In other words an odd amperage, a special impedance and high price to buy a new one. They start at 300.00. I ordered and replaced the paper/foam cone with an improved cloth version for  25.00. They send you the glue too.The stereo sounds great.

Here the LINK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 4:37 AM, bitflipper said:

As an experienced electronics technician, I can tell you that all electronics are powered by magic smoke. It is injected in the final phase of manufacture. I know this because if the magic smoke ever escapes, the device ceases to work. If you don't believe it, try drilling into your CPU and see what happens.

Nothing quite like spending hours diagnosing a fault, thinking you’ve found and fixed it, only to release the magic smoke; again. 
Acquainted well with magic smoke I am.   

Edited by Michael Vogel
  • Haha 1