An Alternative to Band In A Box?

cclarry

For what it's worth, Bandora appears to be a repackaged version Jammer, which I have. I watched the video, and while there have been some changes to the position of some things in the screen layout, almost everything else is the same. Jammer has exactly the same named band styles as shown in the Bandora video, the same pop-up menus, etc!

One of my main criticisms of BiaB is that many of the styles are pretty boring, middle of the road, and in a lot of cases,"cheesy".

I think this is true even more so for Bandora. To my ears it doesn't sound much different from the auto accompaniment you get with home keyboards.

At least with BiaB the RealBand tracks go some way to mitigate this.

27 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

One of my main criticisms of BiaB is that many of the styles are pretty boring, middle of the road, and in a lot of cases,"cheesy".

I think this is true even more so for Bandora. To my ears it doesn't sound much different from the auto accompaniment you get with home keyboards.

At least with BiaB the RealBand tracks go some way to mitigate this.

Yep, agree about BiaB. It is very hard if even possible to generate complete song not boring. Also genres and styles are mostly  - I would - American oriented. Much less things more popular in Europe or kind of orientish or folk for different regions.

However thanks to real tracks it is excellent tool for hybrid approach. Take just some of what was generated and mix with one's production. Not mentioning it is wonderful for training or learning.

My small criticism would go to terrible GUI, imho. I am not only about archaic look (what is less meaningful). But organization of options and used controls are not great designed. Fortunately they created short keys for many operations sh it si possible often skip using menus. Only thing to remember them all :)

6 hours ago, Piotr said:

Yep, agree about BiaB. It is very hard if even possible to generate complete song not boring. Also genres and styles are mostly  - I would - American oriented. Much less things more popular in Europe or kind of orientish or folk for different regions.

However thanks to real tracks it is excellent tool for hybrid approach. Take just some of what was generated and mix with one's production. Not mentioning it is wonderful for training or learning.

My small criticism would go to terrible GUI, imho. I am not only about archaic look (what is less meaningful). But organization of options and used controls are not great designed. Fortunately they created short keys for many operations sh it si possible often skip using menus. Only thing to remember them all :)

That's the only reason I could see using something like this. There are time I've consider Forte but I still think it's pricey when I can still upgrade Finale for $99.

Edited by kitekrazy

I emailed the folks at Bandora and was surprised to get a reply from Simon. 

He has purchased Jammer with the intention of updating it. How quickly that happens will depend on how quickly the word can spread that the core of what was Jammer now Bandora is alive again with prospects for the future. 

No promises about what and when but why spend money buying a program that’s been stagnant for many years and not develop it. Let’s face it, that’s the only way he’s going to capitalise on his investment. 

Spread the word guys. 

On 4/28/2019 at 4:56 PM, bjornpdx said:

ChordPulse   Pretty basic, but gets you in the ballpark IMO.

http:// http://www.chordpulse.com/

ChordPulse is a great little tool that I've owned for years.

Here's a working link: ChordPulse

If you do pick it up, you can d/l my quickie version of Hotel California. Fun starting point to play around with and learn the app.

Highly recommended!

Hotel California.cps