[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.09 Early Access [Updated to build 137]

Morten Saether

37 minutes ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Just confirming I've also experienced this, except strangely in mine, it's only guitar that will play unless soloed!

I was wanting to do a little bit more testing given that i'd recently raised another bug that turned out not to be specific to this release!
This isn't occuring on all projects, but on the project that I have encountered it, it seems to remain if I go back to pre-release build. I was going to work around it by opening up an older working version of the project and then copying across new changes.

I can send over a project with this issue later that may help to diagnose this if you need another example?

@Matthew Simon Fletcher please send a project that can repro this ASAP. I’d like to investigate it before we release

Couple of observations regarding the export process.

1) When creating and renaming tasks,  and then 'updating tasks with current settings' this fails to refresh the filename until the 'recall task settings' option is used.  

2) It would be very nice to have a save tasks option. I'm using tasks in a batch export process to improve the mastering workflow e.g. exporting streaming/CD/mp3 files which are common to every mastering project. I can of course create a mastering template to do the same but the utility value of task presets would be a nice option. 

4 minutes ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Not that I could see unfortunately - also that would mean the global solo toggle button isn't working correctly.

Maybe a level deeper then. An archived frozen track with solo enabled?

...just thinking.

10 minutes ago, Keni said:

Maybe a level deeper then. An archived frozen track with solo enabled?

...just thinking.

I appreciate your thoughts :)
I don't use the archiving functionality and couldn't see anything else obvious.
I toggled the global solo button several times, so my expectation would be that that would clear anything anyway.

To be fair I do doubt myself often, so hence not raising this immediately, but when other people mentioned a similar issue, it seemed beyond coincidence and hence was more likely to be triggered by something in the newer build.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

I appreciate your thoughts :)
I don't use the archiving functionality and couldn't see anything else obvious.
I toggled the global solo button several times, so my expectation would be that that would clear anything anyway.

To be fair I do doubt myself often, so hence not raising this immediately, but when other people mentioned a similar issue, it seemed beyond coincidence and hence was more likely to be triggered by something in the newer build.

Sorry. Only good intentions. Trying to help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

I was wanting to do a little bit more testing given that i'd recently raised another bug that turned out not to be specific to this release!

My own experience tells me that the solo issues alone aren't specific to this release either. On my production PC I still have Cakewalk v2021.01 and there are already some un-solo issues there, have to click more than once to un-solo tracks whereas it used to work just fine with earlier versions. Can't tell with exactly what version the issues started.

Edited by chris.r

I have also experienced the soloing problem in the early release [123] .  It happened on only on two occasions. Once, I restarted Cakewalk and the problem disappeared.  On the other occasion, I just started soloing and un-soloing random tracks (and the master solo too) then after a while normal operation resumed.

1 hour ago, Keni said:

Sorry. Only good intentions. Trying to help.

I'm very grateful! :) apologies if I didn't sound as such.

Chris.r - I personally haven't had this problem before this pre-release, but absolutely not to say that it isn't an older issue.

Sailor55- I tried a number of things such as soling/unsoloing and reloading the project but didn't find a last fix, so hence was going to go back to an earleir project version.

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher
update

4 minutes ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Chris.r - I personally haven't had this problem before this pre-release, but absolutely not to say that it isn't an older issue.

Sailor55- I tried a number of things such as soling/unsoloing and reloading the project but didn't find a last fix, so hence was going to go back to an earleir project version.

For me the fix was easy. I created a new track, copied audio and plugins from the offending track to it and deleted the offending solod track.

if track is selected and then  export tracks throught - only this one track can be selected
only after unselecting track in navigator, other tracks becomes available to select

When exporting in flac (32bit export selected), it asks again for a PCM-bitrate format (8-24) export
meaning all other tasks probably will be paused too, waiting for user input
for different formats there should be some "format setup" menu

well in fact for tags i'd like to have some sort of inner used tags for mp3/flac/ogg
so it wasn't just part of the track-naming, but included inside of tags of rendered format
because everytime i have to put this inside manually, it would be nice to include picture (256||512) as well 

oh and well yes, for the Pass Through routine i'd like also to try a mode when all tracks would be rendered separately,
but taken together in mix automatically - just +1 task to render whole mix
and maybe mix it in one file everytime for not building +1-5Gig everytime for 10-20 tracks
so it was like a multi-track recording, i remember some special format was made like MOGG.
but this is also a different feature, i'd just want to have a mix with all tracks rendered separately, but mixed in one file
not sure about real difference, basically it's alright to mix it after, but actually i did when used all the stuff.
for example some 5.1 surround sound formats for DVD can be different maybe? some additional setup

basically as it is a free DAW we can make a special format for this and provide a player, based on engine
so we know all patterns from project and we just need to render those and put it as many parts of multitrack file
it should also be opened as a separate project-mix file inside CWbB natively.
well it needs some advanced slicering system, to render that and combine.

Using VSTs for a concert is not stable (for example), but multi-wav project has not enough abilities,
native-plugin automations can be used for example, while synth+ side-fx sound can be rendered aka freezed.
so we export sound and automation info into new project-mix file - that's the basics of new CW+Flac+Mix-format.
as a user-player it needs just bass \ drums \ synths \ voice separation and some basic auto-control for volume and eq.
usually drums are just a big [cumber] batch of samples, but they get even on a higher shelf, so this can be simplified easy. 
we can simply ask artists for their own choice to which line this instrument goes,
so if they got folders or bus for few instruments that's the answer. you should also look for patents prob.

This part is also goes for a Render Through - because if i got that bus or folder, maybe it's alright to render that, not each instrument.
as an easy tiger, we need it right away solution - you can add button to export all files into new project + clean sound with automation.
if some tracks are already freezed, maybe there's no need to render that too.
the flac\ogg based - means not using wav in projects to free up some space (flac is GPL)

Edited by OeAi

7 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

@Kevin Perry @Kurre

Thanks for the feedback.
In general I always prefer 64-bit VST3s.

With your opinion, I was wondering what was the reason for putting these details in this menu....

image.png.6469969378c6074a36dd0b069ae72663.png
And not be able to be in this help message as well???

image.png.82e4f497b48ecb6d41caba162e6d710a.png

I only keep an eye on the development. Don't use early access. I don't use the insert menu. Only wanted to correct incorrect writings.

About the insert menu. I could see early on that it would be awkward to use it with lots of plugins installed. So i use the browser and drag&drop.

Which means: Whatever you early access users and developers decide is fine with me.

59 minutes ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

No apology necessary. We all dance with some of the same demons? 👽

I hope you get your issue solved quickly!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jacques Boileau said:

For me the fix was easy. I created a new track, copied audio and plugins from the offending track to it and deleted the offending solod track.

Hi Jacques - I have several hundred tracks that aren't playing, it was only a small section of guitar tracks that were playing.
Hence unfortunately that's not a viable solution here to delete either set.

5 minutes ago, Keni said:

No apology necessary. We all dance with some of the same demons? 👽

I hope you get your issue solved quickly!

Thanks friend :)

46 minutes ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Hi Jacques - I have several hundred tracks that aren't playing, it was only a small section of guitar tracks that were playing.
Hence unfortunately that's not a viable solution here to delete either set.

Ok, for me it was only one track that was playing and all others where silent. So it really was easy to just duplicate that one track and delete it.

3 hours ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Ok, so from memory, the issue I stumbled upon was related to tracks in a folder. When trying to unsolo a track in a folder, first click resulted in a strange solo state that was totally unexpected. I had to then click again back to solo and then unsolo the second time and it was fine then. These might be two separate bugs, or can have the same root, idk.

Would have posted the reply sooner but apparently I had to wait again until Win10 finishes it's another cumulative updates crap. Hate when it's doing it even while Cakewalk open.

Edited by chris.r