[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.09 Early Access [Updated to build 137]

Morten Saether

@rocstudio thanks for doing these tests. I appreciate it. Based on my findings it  appears that UAD plugins don't really process much faster than realtime so this might be a known limitation. 

I'm trying another optimization to parallel process this which may help. I will PM you directly to try something soon. BTW did you try bouncing at your playback buffer size instead of using 350? I wonder if UAD plugins don't like large buffer sizes and that causes an issue.

2 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@rocstudio thanks for doing these tests. I appreciate it. Based on my findings it  appears that UAD plugins don't really process much faster than realtime so this might be a known limitation. 

I'm trying another optimization to parallel process this which may help. I will PM you directly to try something soon. BTW did you try bouncing at your playback buffer size instead of using 350? I wonder if UAD plugins don't like large buffer sizes and that causes an issue.

I did not try that... I will!

Thanks

9 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

Thanks - 

Using Buses as Source Category would mix the tracks feeding that bus into one single audio clip, not separate audio files for each track.

May be I'm trying to do something highly unusual, or may be plain wrong!

The whole purpose of this is to be able to export several tracks at once, maintaining the sound that I hear, that is routed through buses.

A workaround that I found is to simply bounce first the tracks that I want to export, and from these already bounced tracks perform the "export  tracks through entire mix". But it creates one additional step on the export process, and I was hoping that this new source category would reduce it.

No big deal anyway... 

Hi @Andres Medina what you are doing isn't unusual or wrong, but it would be quite complex for us to make soloing a track smart enough to discover the entire downstream signal chain going to buses and automatically activate any other tracks that are feeds for sidechains in buses. 
The changes I made earlier were specific to discovery of interrelated signal flow exclusively within tracks (and aux tracks to some extent). It won't handle a track that outputs to a bus that indirectly relies on a different tracks output, unfortunately. 

So yes what we have is a major step to improve some common sidechaining requirements but not every imaginable scenario. I think the only solution for these is to manually render them for now. 

18 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Weird. We'll check that its initializing with the same sample rate as the project.

Noel,  Just curious if you had time to find anything out about this UAD sample rate message I get when duplicating a track. I'll contact UAD if you don't see anything.

I won't be able to test today but I'll be able to communicate.

Thank you for all you support!

Roc

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi @Andres Medina what you are doing isn't unusual or wrong, but it would be quite complex for us to make soloing a track smart enough to discover the entire downstream signal chain going to buses and automatically activate any other tracks that are feeds for sidechains in buses. 
The changes I made earlier were specific to discovery of interrelated signal flow exclusively within tracks (and aux tracks to some extent). It won't handle a track that outputs to a bus that indirectly relies on a different tracks output, unfortunately. 

So yes what we have is a major step to improve some common sidechaining requirements but not every imaginable scenario. I think the only solution for these is to manually render them for now. 

I understand. I don't know anything about programming/coding, so excuse my ignorance. My contributions to this thread are from the angle of the user perspective.

Thanks for all the effort you guys put in this!

Yes, I will use alternative ways to so the same tasks. CW is flexible enough to do things in several ways!

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@rocstudio 

uad  can't handle multiple plugins in the same session set to the same sample rate.

Issues like this can be project specific so if you have a recipe save a simple project file with audio and send me a link.

Great information! I'll be able to send you something tomorrow. Maybe tonight, depending on how late I get home!

Thank you!

Roc

• Thanks 1

I never really did more than very basic exporting (listening mixdowns), but with the new system, it is really worth taking the time to play with and understand in a deep way the various possibilities for a wide range of purposes.  Thanks to the devs for the new design and greatly expanded functionality and thanks to all the users who have been making the time to help improve it and to help work out the kinks (and to users who have made feature requests / suggestions).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 4:09 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Hard to say. @Mark Morgon-Shaw can you raise the ExceptionHandlingSeverity to 7 and retest this? That should capture a proper crash dump.
Add the ExceptionHandlingSeverity variable to prefs initialization file and set it to 7 and then restart the app.

Hi Noel, I did this and recreated the crash however no crash dump seems to have been created - I didn't get a dialogue box when it crashed although it did wait longer before it closed itself.

I checked the following locations and nothing with recent dates on:-

%AppData%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Minidumps
%AppData%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Minidumps\Plugins

For now I will just avoid duplicating any instruments so I can get this track finished and then see if I can figure anything out from a process of elimination just using stock plugins

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw

3 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

I understand. I don't know anything about programming/coding, so excuse my ignorance. My contributions to this thread are from the angle of the user perspective.

Thanks for all the effort you guys put in this!

Yes, I will use alternative ways to so the same tasks. CW is flexible enough to do things in several ways!

TBH I'd be surprised if any DAW did this specific thing. I'll continue to investigate it in case I can think of a better way.

1 hour ago, Milton Sica said:

I'm using the 126, without any of the features of the implementations made so far for the request of SIDECHAIN users.

What I can say is that the process to open a simple project, for me, is too slow.

Opening a project is slow? Have you tried to rollback to verify if its really due to the new release?

Hi guys,

I've been experiencing a strange but very significant issue using this latest batch of pre-release builds.

I have instances of Komplete Kontrol in an existing project, and for some reason I have to keep reloading these in order to hear sound.
I.e. sound occurs if I play the midi, but then won't work unless I reload the presets again. This has to be carried out on every track.

I went back to the stable build and loaded the project and this issue did not occur.
What was perculiar though was that if I inserted the instruments into a blank project using the new build, there were no issues with playback.

Could the new builds have caused some sort of change to the project file?

Best wishes,
Matthew

31 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Matthew Simon Fletcher it seems unlikely to be related to this release since there aren't specific changes I know of that would impact synths, 
Can you send a pared down version of the project with steps so we can try and reproduce it?

Hi Noel,

Thanks as always.

I've just had the same issue occur now on the release build too, so as you say I think it can be ruled out. Apologies; as I say it was only occuring at first on the newer build and seemed to resolve when I went back, so hence raising it in here but that might just have been the tempremental nature of it.

I thought it was unlikely given I couldn't see anything obvious in the patch notes.

If I can reproduce this consitently i'll raise it as a general bug.

Best wishes,
Matthew

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Apparently you have run into an untrappable exception lol
@Mark MoreThan-ShawHave you tried looking in the windows event log as well?

Not sure where that is I might see if I can suss it out once this piece is done

Actually..Maybe I'm the Untrappable Exception - I may adopt that as my new Producer handle ;)

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw