Singing Bowl

David Sprouse

Hey David . . . liking this one, interesting listen . . . at first I thought this was going to be a smoky late night jazz club thing, but you created some interesting harmonics and chords along the way. The title "Singing Bowl" . . . is that an instrument from your cupboard you recorded, or a sample you used here  ? At times the kit sounded to me like a rock drummer trying to keep up with a jazz combo, more ride cymbal ?  . . . but somehow it all works timing wise for my ears, definitely laid back and experimental . . . you mention Sonar 7, oh yeah, old school with a modern music touch.

David,

Very interesting, tight, and compact composition you have here. I love the contrast between the alternating legato and syncopated sections. It reminds me of some of the stuff Paul Motian and Bill Frisell used to do when Paul was still around, And then the gliding flutes lead into a satisfying. culminating conversation between bass. GTR, and flute.

Meditatively cool,

Bert

On 9/9/2021 at 8:43 PM, noynekker said:

Hey David . . . liking this one, interesting listen . . . at first I thought this was going to be a smoky late night jazz club thing, but you created some interesting harmonics and chords along the way. The title "Singing Bowl" . . . is that an instrument from your cupboard you recorded, or a sample you used here  ? At times the kit sounded to me like a rock drummer trying to keep up with a jazz combo, more ride cymbal ?  . . . but somehow it all works timing wise for my ears, definitely laid back and experimental . . . you mention Sonar 7, oh yeah, old school with a modern music touch.

Noynekker  what's your name, anyways? Thanks for listening 🎶and for the observations. Sonar 7 was a long time ago, no? Singing bowl would be the the bowl of pot my bff used to smoke every morning before work. That'd be my cue to wake  up.... no actually  singing bowls are something Buddhists use to meditate with they make a mesmerizing sound like throat singing does.

1 hour ago, David Sprouse said:

Noynekker  what's your name, anyways? Thanks for listening 🎶and for the observations. Sonar 7 was a long time ago, no? Singing bowl would be the the bowl of pot my bff used to smoke every morning before work. That'd be my cue to wake  up.... no actually  singing bowls are something Buddhists use to meditate with they make a mesmerizing sound like throat singing does.

David . . . since you asked, I'm a long time Cakewalking forum member (from way before Sonar 7) known as Noynekker . . . but, in real life it's just Bruce.

PS . . . Shaun Cassidy's younger brother

Edited by noynekker
a bit of fun

On 9/12/2021 at 2:25 PM, Bert Guy said:

David,

Very interesting, tight, and compact composition you have here. I love the contrast between the alternating legato and syncopated sections. It reminds me of some of the stuff Paul Motian and Bill Frisell used to do when Paul was still around, And then the gliding flutes lead into a satisfying. culminating conversation between bass. GTR, and flute.

Meditatively cool,

Bert

Bert thank you for your observations and kind words.   Glad it soothes the soul.