How to change midi instruments?

garyjam

Hello I've been using Sony Acid and decided to try Cakewalk.

I'm having trouble finding where I change the midi instrument.   I found the piano roll, and it plays piano just fine.  I'm looking for the place I can change it to a drum kit so I can create a drum loop.    any help is appreciated.

thanks

gary in vermont

11 hours ago, bdickens said:

thanks.  i am finding the documentation to be rather difficult.  it is all text, not screenshots or videos...  anyway on that link, the very first thing it says is that you need to download more instruments from Bandlab Assistant.... with no instructions for doing so.   I went to the bandlab assistant, and there are no instruments I can see.  I see packs,  loops, and one-shots.  where do I get a basic drum kit so I can make my own loops? 

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

If you were hearing a piano without first inserting a VST instrument then you were using the ms wavetable synth which you most certainly don’t want to do. 
Go watch the tutorials on getting started 

thanks, that must be what I'm doing, but I don't know where the tutorials are. can you send me a link?   I have been reading the documentation and I find it not to be very helpful.   there is just text, no screenshots or videos.   i just want to put some basic VST instruments into my project ....

Funny how the tutorial sub forum is not as obvious as you would think it is. It doesn’t get a lot of views.  

Example if I post a tutorial video there I get about 30 views. Meanwhile my You Tube stats showed over 300 views 

It’s also never visited by the mods. I deleted about 6 tutorials and put” please delete this thread “ in the titles. Been  a few months and they are still there. So I’m reluctant to post there from now on. 

Cakewalk should support the handful of folks who take all that time to make the videos. The documentation is very difficult to use if you are a new comer. Videos seem to be a better option. 

Edited by John Vere

9 hours ago, bdickens said:

those are all for SONAR, not Cakewalk.   where can i find some basic introductory videos for Cakewalk?  I'm not a beginner, i've been using daws for over 10 years, i am just new to Cakewalk. thanks

8 hours ago, John Vere said:

Funny how the tutorial sub forum is not as obvious as you would think it is. It doesn’t get a lot of views.  

Example if I post a tutorial video there I get about 30 views. Meanwhile my You Tube stats showed over 300 views 

It’s also never visited by the mods. I deleted about 6 tutorials and put” please delete this thread “ in the titles. Been  a few months and they are still there. So I’m reluctant to post there from now on. 

Cakewalk should support the handful of folks who take all that time to make the videos. The documentation is very difficult to use if you are a new comer. Videos seem to be a better option. 

where is that tutorial sub forum?   i see one for Q and A but not a tutorial

48 minutes ago, garyjam said:

those are all for SONAR, not Cakewalk.   where can i find some basic introductory videos for Cakewalk?  I'm not a beginner, i've been using daws for over 10 years, i am just new to Cakewalk. thanks

Same, same. BandLab bought the intellectual property from Gibson & had to rename it.

46 minutes ago, garyjam said:

where is that tutorial sub forum?   i see one for Q and A but not a tutorial

You're not looking very hard

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/35-tutorials/

Like I said it’s not as obvious as some would think. Especially if your using a mobile device like me. 

And yes the getting started video selection it terribly out of date and Cakewalk has changed more than justifying new videos. I’d be embarrassed if it was my software.