Jump to content
Paula Coots

Silent Buses Detected

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

1217626025_SilentBus.png.cf52b5423878c1b84c967aa4e0ff67ee.png   Any idea what this means and how to fix it? Thanks. I made a custom template a couple of months ago and haven't had any problems recording, and I haven't changed anything. So after this came up, I hit ok, and recorded on the two guitar tracks on the two guitar template tracks that I had made, and added volume and pan automation. I froze EZ Drummer 2 because I wasn't using it yet. The "song" is eight bars long.  I am new to Cakewalk, and was playing with the stock plug-ins, one at a time.  (I've recorded four songs using Waves plug-ins and haven't had anything happen like this.)  I instantiated Sonitus EQ and tried the presets on one track. Then I deleted it, and did the same with the Compressor. Then, when I started the delay...cakewalk just shut down. Auto-save retained my automation. Any ideas?

Guitar Tracks Set to the right inputs and outputs (2).png

Edited by Paula Coots
add another photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Don't remember the reason exactly; but I do remember long ago adding to the initialization file WarnSilentBuses=0.

Do this in prefs\File\Initialization file. option is WarnSilentBuses Value is 0. then click on Set.

This gets rid of the message

Edited by Pathfinder
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think i get this when i change interfaces and some track, aux track or bus routes to nothing.

Routing should be the reason for it.

I don't disable the message because i want to know.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Paula Coots said:

1217626025_SilentBus.png.cf52b5423878c1b84c967aa4e0ff67ee.png   Any idea what this means and how to fix it? Thanks. I made a custom template a couple of months ago and haven't had any problems recording, and I haven't changed anything. So after this came up, I hit ok, and recorded on the two guitar tracks on the two guitar template tracks that I had made, and added volume and pan automation. I froze EZ Drummer 2 because I wasn't using it yet. The "song" is eight bars long.  I am new to Cakewalk, and was playing with the stock plug-ins, one at a time.  (I've recorded four songs using Waves plug-ins and haven't had anything happen like this.)  I instantiated Sonitus EQ and tried the presets on one track. Then I deleted it, and did the same with the Compressor. Then, when I started the delay...cakewalk just shut down. Auto-save retained my automation. Any ideas?

Guitar Tracks Set to the right inputs and outputs (2).png

When you render your tracks to a WAV or MP3 are these tracks, in fact, silent?   I've been grappling with this issue since Sonar X3 and it remains a mystery.  I have a recent post up about it.  I get the exact same message as you show above, but the tracks in question all are quite audible in both the project and when I render them.  Also, as you were, I was advised to check the initialization file.  When I do this, I see NOTHING listed.  Am I missing a step?

John B.

PS-I thought, at first, that it was happening for me because I had used plugins that came with my Focusrite Scarlett interface, but that turned out not to be the case.  It showed up even when I wasn't using the Red plugins.

Edited by Johnbee58
Add info
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If those two images were taken at the same point in the project, and there are no hidden aux sends, then the message makes no sense. Both tracks are routed identically, but the program only complains about one of them being routed to a silent bus. Either there is a clue not visible in the screenshots, or the project file is corrupt.

What do you hear when you play the project? Just "Guitar 2", or silence?

Where is your Master bus routed? What happens if you route "Guitar" directly to the hardware outs?

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would double check you don't have any hidden tracks routed to nothing in  track manager in console view and also track view in case they are not synced.

Edited by razor7music
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. I don't think I would've thought of that. I'll try that as soon as I get back and I'll post a follow up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, thank you, guys. I'm new at this forum thing, and didn't see the replies above razor7music.

Bitflipper and JohnB, I can hear both tracks and render them. The screen shots were of the same session. The track view shot was taken right after I clicked on "OK" on the pictured pop up.

I appreciate ALL your ideas and will be able to respond better when I can get back to the pc on Sunday and check on those things you pointed out.  I have been away working since my post.

Another anomaly happened right after I made the first post.

I checked a mix of a different song that had been made with the same template and was fine the day before. I didn't get that popup, but it was only coming out of my laptop speakers. What?? So I went to the ASIO offline control, and it wasn't set to the usual ASIO4all driver.  It said ASIO4all HD driver, I think, which I'd never seen  before. Weird. I set it back to the proper driver, and then other driver wasn't listed as an alternative. It was like it came from nowhere and disappeared. The project played fine.  I checked all the settings in preferences, and it was all the same as usual. So I'm not sure why that happened, either.  By then,  I had a headache so stopped fiddling.

I'm going to check all the other templates and your suggestions first thing. 

Maybe I am responding too soon, because I can't get to the program right now. But I just want to thank you all for responding.  I'll thoroughly investigate your suggestions and post what happens.

BTW, I'm using an old Behringer X1204USB mixer as an interface. When I used to use it a few years ago on my Windows 7 desktop and Samplitude, there was a specific Behringer driver. The Behringer website said to use ASIO4all for Windows 10, and didn't list any other drivers, so that's what I did. Maybe I just need a new interface.   

Oh, and JohnB, that is distressing to hear that you've had this happen since SonarX3. Are you having it still with Cakewalk Bandlab? Have you lost any important mixes? I was thinking of getting a Focusrite, but this mixer has always served me well. If you're still having the issue and using the interface I was thinking of switching to, maybe I should hold off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Paula Coots said:

Oh, and JohnB, that is distressing to hear that you've had this happen since SonarX3. Are you having it still with Cakewalk Bandlab? Have you lost any important mixes? I was thinking of getting a Focusrite, but this mixer has always served me well. If you're still having the issue and using the interface I was thinking of switching to, maybe I should hold off.

Thanks for your concern, Paula.  I went into the Preferences menu today and changed the Cakewalk.ini file as suggested by Pathfinder above.  It got rid of the nasty little message and the projects still all do what they're supposed to do.  As far as your interface, I took a look at your current mixer/interface and it looks to me as if you have a better setup with that than you would with a Focusrite.  INHO, Focusrite is overrated anyway.  Years ago I used a Line 6 Pod Studio UX2 and then I "upgraded" to a Focusrite Scarlet 6i6 (1st generation).  Sometimes I think I should've stuck with the UX2, but the Focusrite did come with a nice bundle of plugins, so I can't complain.  If I were you, personally, I'd stick with the Behringer mixer if it's working for you.

🙂JB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, razor7music said:

I would double check you don't have any hidden tracks routed to nothing in track manager in console view and also track view in case they are not synced.

I thought I had double checked every routing source. I could hear everything; it was doubly confusing. So in Console Mode I inserted all the modules, and  what do I see in the Send Module? A routing to a Reverb bus whose output was set to...NONE.  I wasn't doing anything with that bus yet, and had never gotten the pop up before, but oh well. I love it when the solution is simple. Now, don't ask me how the send got changed. Maybe I set it up wrong to start with, but that would mean the pop up was tardy. 

Who cares? I'm so happy it's working! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John, thanks for the headsup about the Focusrite. I appreciate it.  Now I feel better about my Behringer.

I seem to have gotten my problem fixed, and posted the answer quoting Raven7Music. 

Now I also know that if I get that pop up for no reason in the futre, I can set the ini file to ignore it if all else is working correctly. It's fun to learn, and even better when you guys chip in with your experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Routing was the issue. Thank you guys for these insights. I typed the details on the razor7music quote. When I hit enter, well, I may have just sent all this everywhere twice.

I'll get the hang of this, too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Paula Coots said:

John, thanks for the headsup about the Focusrite. I appreciate it.  Now I feel better about my Behringer.

I seem to have gotten my problem fixed, and posted the answer quoting Raven7Music. 

Now I also know that if I get that pop up for no reason in the futre, I can set the ini file to ignore it if all else is working correctly. It's fun to learn, and even better when you guys chip in with your experience.

Don't forget to back up the .ini file on a flash drive before you add the WarnSilentBuses value.  That way if something does get messed up (not likely) you can re load the original.  Also, I don't remember seeing it in the documentation, but you'll have to UNHIDE your hidden folders in order to see the %appData% folder which contains the .ini file.  On my system (Windows 8.1) the file location is C:/Users/John/%appData%/Roaming/Cakewalk/Cakewalk Core.  If you have anything other than Windows 8 it might be a bit different for you.

Next session, I'll have to remember to check my buses to see if that's why I may be getting those warnings.  Thanks for YOUR tip! 😀

😀JB

Edited by Johnbee58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cool! Thanks for that info. I will certainly save it.

Now this. I downloaded an upgrade from Waves. I had the H-Comp, which I like because I can use it as a sort of parallel comp with it's mix knob. I updated to get the whole H-Series because it was on sale, and I got even more off with an upgrade that didn't include the H-Comp. Don't worry, I've sent them an email, though I'm told not to expect much. Since THEN, now I get THIS:

I'm using the Pro-Channel EQ to try and isolate some noise. This is normally fine. I got the same message when I tried to adjust my H-Comp after it opened just fine. Just like this Cakewalk EQ.  NOW WHAT? I'll keep digging online, when all I want is to freaking MAKE SOME MUSIC.

 

Cakewalk says: CANNOT FIND OR OPEN FILE

1908008727_CakewalkCannotfindoropenfileCROPPED.jpg.png.a0cf37c0c70d9ac0b2ac10073b53c514.png1584899623_CakewalkCannotfindoropenfiile.jpg.a67511f91fa371b04ef65a9528d56f20.jpg

Edited by Paula Coots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Paula Coots said:

Cool! Thanks for that info. I will certainly save it.

Now this. I downloaded an upgrade from Waves. I had the H-Comp, which I like because I can use it as a sort of parallel comp with it's mix knob. I updated to get the whole H-Series because it was on sale, and I got even more off with an upgrade that didn't include the H-Comp. Don't worry, I've sent them an email, though I'm told not to expect much. Since THEN, now I get THIS:

I'm using the Pro-Channel EQ to try and isolate some noise. This is normally fine. I got the same message when I tried to adjust my H-Comp after it opened just fine. Just like this Cakewalk EQ.  NOW WHAT? I'll keep digging online, when all I want is to freaking MAKE SOME MUSIC.

 

Cakewalk says: CANNOT FIND OR OPEN FILE

1908008727_CakewalkCannotfindoropenfileCROPPED.jpg.png.a0cf37c0c70d9ac0b2ac10073b53c514.png1584899623_CakewalkCannotfindoropenfiile.jpg.a67511f91fa371b04ef65a9528d56f20.jpg

I know how frustrating hings can get. Whenever you upgrade any plugins, make Cakewalk rescan your VST's. Usually what I do to sidestep any problems that may crop up from 3rd party vendors moving things around or whatnot. Rescan and see if that fixes it.

Edited by samson7842

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Samson! Thank you for the quick response. I actually did that, and all the plug-ins were recognized.  It was still cropping up with that message. I was still able to record. But I knew something was still wrong. I decided to look through each type of plug in. I scanned again. Nothing wrong. Then (stubborn and usually a foolish way to be), I did the same thing again. I scanned for the third time, and this is what I got.

 

1616875222_wavespluginproblem5-1-19cropped.png.f9578ee77ea50c7a1d78f51265bfa6c3.png

I don't know if it's because I had highlighted the plug-ins there on the left of that type, if that affected the third scan or not, but this was the first time for the message. So, I disabled that Shell Plug-In. H-Comp is now working.

It just seemed too logical. It had to be something like that. Now, again, it's a mystery. I'll see what waves has to say about it. I have yet to try the Pro-Channel or other effects because I'm out of recording time for the night, but I'm glad I got three tracks recorded. I'll update tomorrow after giving it another go. 

waves plug in problem 5-1-19.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Paula Coots said:

Hi, Samson! Thank you for the quick response. I actually did that, and all the plug-ins were recognized.  It was still cropping up with that message. I was still able to record. But I knew something was still wrong. I decided to look through each type of plug in. I scanned again. Nothing wrong. Then (stubborn and usually a foolish way to be), I did the same thing again. I scanned for the third time, and this is what I got.

 

1616875222_wavespluginproblem5-1-19cropped.png.f9578ee77ea50c7a1d78f51265bfa6c3.png

I don't know if it's because I had highlighted the plug-ins there on the left of that type, if that affected the third scan or not, but this was the first time for the message. So, I disabled that Shell Plug-In. H-Comp is now working.

It just seemed too logical. It had to be something like that. Now, again, it's a mystery. I'll see what waves has to say about it. I have yet to try the Pro-Channel or other effects because I'm out of recording time for the night, but I'm glad I got three tracks recorded. I'll update tomorrow after giving it another go. 

waves plug in problem 5-1-19.png

Howdy - I do not know if this applies or not, but in the past, some VST3 issues with Waves plugins have occurred with some folks, and their workaround was to temporarily use the VST2 versions of the affected plugins - and then they were able to use the plugins.  There is no audio impact I am aware of, from using their VST2 version of a plugin instead of the VST3 version of the same plugin, so why not give that a try, and see if it gets you back to using these plugins?  Eventually, in the past, Waves came out with subsequent updates that address the issues that had caused their VST3 plugins to hiccup and die.  I believe similar issues with VST3 version of plugins from other vendors have also occurred, as well, but for sure I recall in the past some Waves VST3 issues that were solved by using the VST2 versions until later updates fixed the VST3 issues.

(edited to add this): I did a quick Google search of the old forums, to see what showed up on the issues I described above.  Try the following Google search terms (without the quotation marks), and take a look through some of the posts that look promising, and I believe you will see similar issues, and hopefully corroboration of my suggested workaround.  Here are the terms (don't forget to remove the quotes):

"forum.cakewalk.com waves vst3 vst2"

I hope that helps.

Bob Bone

Edited by Robert Bone
Added additional comments to show further info
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get this notification on some of my projects when using Jamstix.

Quite often, I'll stick the audioM8 plugin on its own bus, so I can control the level of audio sent to it from each track. 

As audioM8 doesn't have an audio output, the bus is always silent, hence the notification.

Maybe I could get around it by using Aux tracks, but the bus works fine for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great to see someone else getting this same waveshell error message. You are not alone. Two changes in the default preferences sorted that for us. Scanning vsts within the sandbox (also in preferences) got rid of that annoying wavshell error message. Then also in preferences, turning off the dithering brought stability to the project. You can always dither when exporting. I never got a satisfactory answer as to why turning off dithering in preferences made a difference but we have never got that waveshell error message since turning it off and lots of other instability issues went away also. As a rule now we only scan vsts when a new plugin is added.

Edited by sealesb
clarifying something
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×