hanging notes when I stop in mid song

LNovik@aol.com

Question

When I am working on a song and have to stop in the middle, I often get a continuation of a note from one of my hardware synths--in this case, a Roland Integra. I  did go to the Preferences tabs and made sure that I clicked on the box next to  "zero controllers when play stops." That was already clicked on. However, I do realize that perhaps it's not just the sustain that  continues when I stop mid song, but prob just a note-in this case, strings-that is being played for a few  measures. So perhaps, if I stop in between those measures, the note keeps playing. So perhaps I'm looking for a "note off" type of message to be sent when I hit the stop button.

Just wondering if there is any work around for this. It's VERY irritating to be trying to work on something with a loud note playing. It's not as easy as just lowering the fader for that instrument, since I have several instruments playing thru that synth.

Thanks.

LNovik

10 answers to this question

This happens for me from time to time with an external SW1000XG card. 

I put it down to the SW1000XG missing the note off command (or more precisely, the note on vel 0 command)  from time to time

As John mentions, I just hit the MIDI reset in the control bar transport. 

One other thing I have done is added PanicStrength=1 in the [WinCake] section in the Cakewalk.ini file in the "%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" folder

See:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=4&help=INI_Files.4.html

I DO believe my hanging notes problem is solved. I had been using a MIDISport 4x4 MIDI interface, bought many years ago. I had tried to update my drivers a year or two ago.  While the M-Audio site did not list the MIDISport 4x4 as a  supported device, it did list the MIDISport 4x4 Anniversary edition.  I guess I hoped that the updated driver for that device would be similar enough for my interface. The problem is that this was a while ago, so I had forgotten that I had downloaded this  possibly ineffective driver. On another site, I recently saw someone's post about  hanging notes and outdated drivers on the MIDISport, which was solved by him buying a new interface. I had not wanted to do this for fear that it might not solve  the problem. However, I just bought a MOTU MIDI express 128 8x8. I no longer hear any hanging, though it had just been a day. It used to happen every few minutes. So, I guess an outdated driver is another reason for note hanging.

LNovik

Good news, and congradulations for fixing it in a logical way. There is a thread here were the OP has the exact same issue with an outdated Midi interface and seems that person is going down a twisted pathway. Instead of doing the logical solution, like you did, they have spent since last April  fighting a loosing battle trying to get the old driver working. 3 pages with some excellent help by a staff memeber and still not working, my my.  

• Like 1

Interesting. I have the same issue - using a MIDISport 4 x 4 which has worked flawlessly over the past 20 something years. Thanks for the thread and input from everyone. Time to retire the MIDISport and get a new midi interface.  Actually, I will reassign it to my 'old' computer running XP - where I keep all my vintage hardware and programs, if I ever need to extract something from them.