Back Up Files and System, What are u Doing?

jesse g

I backup my C:\ partition to a NAS nightly using Acronis

My F:\ drive (projects organized by DAW) are backed up to Carbonite more or less on demand (I typically pause it while in session)

My samples drive is either backed up by installer apps (i.e. on the vendor cloud storage) or to a second NAS system from my initiated downloads from the vendor site

My non-DAW machine has it's C:\ partition backed up to a third NAS system

My MacPro is backed up to an external drive for now.

Two years ago when we were evacuated for the fires I took my DAW tower and my NAS drives and of course nearly all my basses and guitars. I only left behind those instruments in the price range that could be easily replaced (2 basses at the time). 

I use Aomei for cloning my OS drive to larger TB SSD's, but I need to invest in NAS storage  for my Backups.   Right now, my Backup[ consist of manually backing up to a WD 6TB "My Book" with a Red HD I put in it.  How lame am I, right  😞   Unless there is some one out there who doesn't' even back up!!

Edited by jesse g

2 hours ago, jesse g said:

Unless there is some one out there who doesn't' even back up!!

If I were to be honest, I'd be raising my hand now. 

Nothing I do is that important or that good to even back up. The stuff I complete that I like I'll throw on my 14 year old backup drive that has bad sectors and you have to unplug and plug back in 5 times to be recognized. Everything else is on it's own on my main drive.

A while back my DAW must have gotten zapped and I lost both HDD's. I threw in an old small drive to boot from and ran Studio One off of those little SD cards you put in camera's and backed up on to those. I've run them through the washer and dryer. I've popped them in to my car stereo to see what would happen. They're still working. And not once did I ever have a problem recording to them and even using samples off of them with Studio One. Never tried it with anything else.

NAS systems are really coming down in price and if you're adventurous you can build your own. I started a thread about it in another sub forum here. There's some good info there. There is a lot of free software and you can do some amazing things. There's a lot of easy to follow tutorials out there also. 

As a couple of you know, I just lost 1.3 TB off a 3 TB drive.  I've used Carbonite for years (decades?), NO MORE!!!

It took over 37 DAYS to restore that 1.3 TB's and... once I had it all back, the 10 TB drive I had restored to broke its connector (it's basically useless now - I'm trying to decide what to do).

Carbonite wouldn't send me a disk and their download rate caps at a ridiculous 1.5 GB PER HOUR!!!

I'm now using BackBlaze.  It's cheaper, has unlimited storage, AND will use as much bandwidth that you can throw at it!

Just use a NAS attached to your computer and BackBlaze will not only back up every drive IN your computer, but those attached EXTERNALLY to your computer!

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, craigb said:

Carbonite wouldn't send me a disk and their download rate caps at a ridiculous 1.5 GB PER HOUR!!!

Just curious, how fast is your connection?

Mine is 30Mb Download/20Mb Upload. My ISP tells me I should be happy paying $130/Month and that I'm faster than 98% of the country.

14 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

Mine is 30Mb Download/20Mb Upload. My ISP tells me I should be happy paying $130/Month and that I'm faster than 98% of the country.

That's a bit pricey for just 30MB/20MB. If you can get AT&T's fiber optic in your area, you can get 1GB upload/1GB download (in actuality, about 900MB up & down) and I pay $100 for that. Only thing is, it's not always available in all areas.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

I have Verizon Fios and I get 100 MB upload and down load and only pay 129.99 a month. plus I have YouTube TV in the plan and other included channels. 

Shane you are being robbed!!

Edited by jesse g

2 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Shane you are being robbed!!

I know, but it's my only option. I live outside of town. I get my service from a radio tower that transmits it via line of site to a satellite on my house.

I pay a year in advance so they give me a discount. It divides out to $100 a month if I pay a year in advance. But yeah, they are robbing us but we have no choice.

The only reason I got it that cheap is my new neighbor knows the owner and he let it slip that he gave him a discount. He gets a 40/40 for $130 a month so they knocked mine down a little and made it work out to $100/Month. 

Elon Musk's satellite is supposed to be up and running here by the end of next month. That's 300Mb Up/Down I think. Not sure how much it costs. My neighbors signed up for it in advance. I'll wait to see how it works for them. He runs an IT business out of his barn.

7 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

I know, but it's my only option. I live outside of town. I get my service from a radio tower that transmits it via line of site to a satellite on my house.

I pay a year in advance so they give me a discount. It divides out to $100 a month if I pay a year in advance. But yeah, they are robbing us but we have no choice.

The only reason I got it that cheap is my new neighbor knows the owner and he let it slip that he gave him a discount. He gets a 40/40 for $130 a month so they knocked mine down a little and made it work out to $100/Month. 

Elon Musk's satellite is supposed to be up and running here by the end of next month. That's 300Mb Up/Down I think. Not sure how much it costs. My neighbors signed up for it in advance. I'll wait to see how it works for them. He runs an IT business out of his barn.

Shane,

I am praying you get a better deal soon.

Edited by jesse g

1 hour ago, Shane_B. said:

340 Mbps down and 12.9 Mbps up actual on a 275 down / 10 up plan.

For $25 more I can get 1.2 Gbps down and 35 Mbps up which would actually be even faster than that.  This internet plus 220 channels of cable is about $200 / month.

FWIW - 320 Mbps down is 2.4 GB per minute or 144 GB per hour (a tad quicker than Carbonite's 1.5 GB per hour, ya?).

I use win7 and 8.1. You can make an image and save/load it to a harddrive of your choice. I do that for backups.

I use either external ssd with usb3 or to a simple nas that i made out of an old windows home server with 4 disks.

I just checked and my internet speed in a rent apartment house, Sweden Stockholm, is 207 Mbps down and 11 Mbps up. Cost is 50 euro/month.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 9:02 PM, Shane_B. said:

Holy s***! That's highway robbery!

You might find this a much better deal:

https://www.skyroam.com/

Bdickins wrote:

Holy s***! That's highway robbery!

You might find this a much better deal:

Comment:

Thanks for getting my post shut down, how do you like people coming into your posts and dropping stink bombs?

I will be skipping over you replies from now on.

From the very first thing you wrote in my post it was arrogant and nasty.

It doesn't matter if you have any insight if it comes with so much baggage.

Edited by RexRed
  • Meh 1