50% off BFD and Expansions

cclarry

4 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I also had a sense that the software might be going nowhere after reading about the acquisition and seeing that they are offering this bargain basement upgrade price from any previous release, including ECO, but went for it just to to replace the 32-bit ECO, …..

There was a 64 bit update to ECO released some time ago. If you’re interested in using it, you may want to see if it’s still available for download in your old FXpansion account.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

friendly channel names that ECO did like OH, Room, Kick, Snare, etc

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

how the channel names shown as track inputs correspond to the output channel assignments you make for strips in the BFD console

fwiw,  every kit piece I use has a 'direct' channel with a reasonable name which gets routed from BFD to it's own channel in CxB.  Each kit piece has a variety of ambient mic channels which all get dumped into the AmbMix channel with arbitrary settings. Different expansion packs have different recording techniques which can lead to an even longer list of extra mic channels when using kit pieces from different expansions.  

The approach used to get an initial kit sound is to;

1. load project template with all direct kit pieces, OH and Room channels and AmbMix (master out of BFD) routed to respective channels in CxB

2. OH, Room and AmbMix are routed to an Ambient Aux in CxB.

2. drop the faders on all AmbMix channels and set nominal levels for OH and Room

3. pick a "main" ambient channel for each kit piece (in the Tech module in BFD) and balance levels by monitoring the Ambient Aux (also, panning, phase, etc).  

4. monitor the drum stem to set a mix of direct (in CxB) and extra mic channels (in BFD) to get the kit sound for the project

5. save as a preset once all is sorted out. 

mix adjustments are pretty much all done in CxB after that. 

project templates include aligned BFD keymaps, CxB drum maps and MIDI channels with a color coded PRV. 

Can't say this is going to work for everyone and there may be smarter ways to do this, but I've always been able to get drums sounding the way I need them to, more so than any other drum VST.  That being said, a few of us are pooling resources to give SD3 a fresh look as they list 4-5 kits with "raw" samples which might be our way forward if InMusic continues to prioritize some sketchy online authorization over product functionality/value.  

hth

• Thanks 1