50% off BFD and Expansions

cclarry

I have both 

SD3 much superior (!) in my view PLUS the BFD3 program itself is a bit broken of late

note that I'm guessing the JRR packs are fxpansion and you might have to jump through some hoops to get them registered in the BFDdrums version

53 minutes ago, Olong Johnson said:

I'm on the fence. Someone push me one way or the other:

I already have SD3 but I might consider BFD just for Joe Barresi Evil Drums. How has this kit held up? Is it still worth buying? Is anything in SD3 comparable?

I love how BFD sounds, but it's cluttery to use. If you have a 4k screen you need a microscope to see anything.

2 hours ago, simon said:

I have both 

SD3 much superior (!) in my view PLUS the BFD3 program itself is a bit broken of late

note that I'm guessing the JRR packs are fxpansion and you might have to jump through some hoops to get them registered in the BFDdrums version

It would be worth checking but I did a clean install on a new DAW a couple of weeks back and all my packs (including several of these) authorised correctly in in the inmusic manager. I have not be able to use the old BFD2 and Eco factory kits however.

BFD3 has some great sounds and features but the workflow is far behind SD3. A significant update is needed. Its built in drum maps are the business though!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

It would be worth checking but I did a clean install on a new DAW a couple of weeks back and all my packs (including several of these) authorised correctly in in the inmusic manager. I have not be able to use the old BFD2 and Eco factory kits however.

hi Vernon - thanks for the hints 

all the problems I'm having are acknowledged bugs - some dating back to the FXP days.  Some of the new problems make it even more painful though.

To get the BFD2 kits working you'll need a new serial number for 'The London Sessions',  Drop BFD support a line and they'll sort you out with that one.  Not sure about Eco but there's probably something they can do for that (Eldorado pack?)

Always preferred BFD for sound quality, BUT they've tried to implement some sort of mandatory online authorization with the relaunch via InMusic. IME it's been a complete mess, with random driveby deauthorizations of *everything* I've owned for years. Can't recommend it until they've sorted this out with a user/customer focused update. FYI, a couple of the original FXpansion crew are full time on damage control, but this has been going on since April, and it's InMusic, which does not have a track record of investing in product improvement. 

Great sounds/feature set for "realistic" drums, and yes, the user interface could benefit just as greatly from a major overhaul. Would love to see it happen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackson white said:

they've tried to implement some sort of mandatory online authorization with the relaunch via InMusic. IME it's been a complete mess, with random driveby deauthorizations of *everything* I've owned for years... and it's InMusic, which does not have a track record of investing in product improvement.

I didn't know much about BFD but I got caught up today. They've changed hands a couple times - not a good sign. And the buggy and convoluted authorization is a big turn off. Long thread of complaints on the BFD forum and no software update since June. Think I'm gonna pass on this one.

• Great Idea 1

10 hours ago, Olong Johnson said:

I'm on the fence. Someone push me one way or the other:

I already have SD3 but I might consider BFD just for Joe Barresi Evil Drums. How has this kit held up? Is it still worth buying? Is anything in SD3 comparable?

Someone I know likes Evil Drums and used it at least as of a couple years ago. Too bad you can no longer get it as an SDX, though Toontrack supported it in SD3 and made some fixes. Hope they continue supporting it later versions... was it the only third-party SDX?

Platinum Samples also has a version for their "accent" drum vi, which seems to be on sale for $100 direct on their site right now. The library includes the player.

http://www.platinumsamples.com/accent/evildrums.php

Edited by mister_tea
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mister_tea said:

Platinum Samples also has a version for their "accent" drum vi, which seems to be on sale for $100 direct on their site right now. The library includes the player.

I didn't know it was available outside BFD. I'll check it out. I'm still kicking myself for missing it when it was available for SD2.

2 hours ago, mister_tea said:

Someone I know likes Evil Drums and used it at least as of a couple years ago. Too bad you can no longer get it as an SDX, though Toontrack supported it in SD3 and made some fixes. Hope they continue supporting it later versions... was it the only third-party SDX?

I have The Accent player with the Ocean Way kits and 3rd party kits (Space Cabin Audio IIRC). I also have Evil drums in SD3 (since I bought it in the SD2 days). But I cannot justify $100 for the kits in Accent since I more or less abandon that eco-system after no ongoing development. Too bad, Accent started out of the gate strong with the idea that you could add 3rd party plugins to their mixer. Cool idea.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, David Baay said:

If you have the old BFD ECO version, I just discovered BFD is offering an upgrade to BFD3 for just $49.99. Just enter your ECO serial in the promo code box at checkout:

https://www.bfddrums.com/drum-software/bfd3.html

I did something like this a while back and now have BDF 3 plus an add on pack. I regret slightly wasting the money, but i REALLY regret wasting the time i have spent trying to get this loaded / working / authorized.

I will never use this until they update the product itself and sort out the authorization. It is a mess. I hate to say it,  but to me it has the feel of abandonware!!

I suppose the money could be seen as an investment SHOULD they ever update the product, but I am not holding my breath - perhaps I should view it as a gamble more than an investment - OK people, bets being taken now, evens we never see an update🤪

Nigel

6 hours ago, David Baay said:

If you have the old BFD ECO version, I just discovered BFD is offering an upgrade to BFD3 for just $49.99. 

This is the route I took. At least this will bring BFD back into a usable state for not much outlay.  

I never had the full version of BFD, only ECO. I really enjoyed the sounds and the work flow of ECO. 

On 9/7/2021 at 6:34 PM, Bapu said:

I have The Accent player with the Ocean Way kits and 3rd party kits (Space Cabin Audio IIRC). I also have Evil drums in SD3 (since I bought it in the SD2 days). But I cannot justify $100 for the kits in Accent since I more or less abandon that eco-system after no ongoing development. Too bad, Accent started out of the gate strong with the idea that you could add 3rd party plugins to their mixer. Cool idea.

^^^^ THIS! ^^^^  I took the loss & deleted this off my system a few years ago..

8 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

I did something like this a while back and now have BDF 3 plus an add on pack. I regret slightly wasting the money, but i REALLY regret wasting the time i have spent trying to get this loaded / working / authorized.

I will never use this until they update the product itself and sort out the authorization. It is a mess. I hate to say it,  but to me it has the feel of abandonware!!

I suppose the money could be seen as an investment SHOULD they ever update the product, but I am not holding my breath - perhaps I should view it as a gamble more than an investment - OK people, bets being taken now, evens we never see an update🤪

Nigel

I deleted this off my system  as well, won't bother installing again until it's fixed & improved...disappointing as it was once my choice for canned drums.

10 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

I also had a sense that the software might be going nowhere after reading about the acquisition and seeing that they are offering this bargain basement upgrade price from any previous release, including ECO, but went for it just to to replace the 32-bit ECO, and maybe get some new sounds and capabilities on the cheap. I had no trouble with auth process, but the download and installation of the sound library was extremely slow, and I eventually had to run the program installer directly from the downloads folder because the freshly installed auth manager was hanging in the middle saying it neede to update itself (?). Go figure.

Beyond that, my first impression was not great when going to assign output channels to track inputs, and finding they don't have the friendly channel names that ECO did like OH, Room, Kick, Snare, etc. Instead you just get a long list of numbered stereo mono channels, and it's not immediately clear how the channel names shown as track inputs correspond to the output channel assignments you make for strips in the BFD console. Its been a while since I used ECO so maybe I customized something there that gave me the friendly names... ? It'll probably be easiest if I can get hold of a multi-out track template that someone else has already built.