No audio and every track grey....

Bostmaster

So i was recording some stuff, and i think accidentally pressed on some shortcut becouse all my tracks is grey out (except midi) and i get no sound.

The only sound i get is the metronome.  I have looked at the shortcut sheet and cant find any that would be close to have caused this. The tracks arent muted either...                                                                                            

Anyone got a clue of what could have happend?

cakewalk forum.PNG

Or, you could have pressed  MUTE and UNMUTE. 

I did report this in an earlier release, guess it wasn't looked at, OR assumed it wasnt a bug. Along with plugins that cuts out certain times when you move them while open as well - among other bugs I found in that same release (which wasn't responded too)  carried over to the new release as you've discovered. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

WOW.. guys.. I NEVER EVER considered the "K" for muting and unmuting.. IT IS NOT OBVIOUS.. If were to MUTE a track using the "K" as stated, why is the NO OTHER indicator that it is muted?   [M] should have been set to on, if that was the case.. this is a very very poor design.. An interface should be easy to work with, software that doesn't indicate it's state needs to be repaired.. why make your customers work so hard.. This is not documented, btw.

• Meh 2

56 minutes ago, Arpeggio Blues said:

WOW.. guys.. I NEVER EVER considered the "K" for muting and unmuting.. IT IS NOT OBVIOUS.. If were to MUTE a track using the "K" as stated, why is the NO OTHER indicator that it is muted?   [M] should have been set to on, if that was the case.. this is a very very poor design.. An interface should be easy to work with, software that doesn't indicate it's state needs to be repaired.. why make your customers work so hard.. This is not documented, btw.

I have used the default M for Marker for at least 15 years.  Have you considered changing that in [ P ] references > Customization > Keyboard Shortcuts? To me, flexibility/customization is one of Cakewalk's strong points

I don't think in terms of clips and I never use K for anything, but I looked up K** and see its the shortcut to toggle Clips Mute/Unmute.

I tested it by recording a short bass line (in both an instrument track and a separate MIDI track). After selecting each in the clips pane (one at a time), K toggled the state between Mute and Unmute.  The color of the clip (background and foreground) changed to show the mute / unmute status.

Next, I added an audio track and recorded the output of the instrument track as audio.  K works on that track as a mute / unmute toggle and the background and foreground change colors accordingly.

**Personal preference: I usually look up shortcuts using  [ P ] references > Customization > Keyboard Shortcuts, either to search by function or by keypress / key combo [aka Locate Key]. I often find that to be quicker than doing a text search in the Reference Guide.

BTW, please note that several people mentioned muting and unmuting clips:

On 9/7/2021 at 8:02 AM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

It looks like you may have accidentally muted the clips ( highlight and press K to mute or unmute ) ☺️  [emphasis added]

On 6/26/2022 at 11:04 PM, Riplead said:

Holy cow. I don't record a lot, and that was driving me nuts. I thought mute was mute. Didn't know there was a mute for clips. Thanks!!!  [emphasis added]

In reviving this ancient thread (more than a year old) your diatribe seems to be confusing tracks with clips:

1 hour ago, Arpeggio Blues said:

. . . If were to MUTE a track using the "K" as stated, why is the NO OTHER indicator that it is muted?  [emphasis added]

Hope this helps.

Edited by User 905133
(2) added a section on clips v. tracks; (1) edits for the sake of clarity

2 hours ago, Arpeggio Blues said:

It is documented and it is also documented that "M" is for markers.  Perhaps you should have RTFM before bringing a two year old thread back from the dead, spouting off half cocked and making yourself look like an *****

Meanwhile, there are people with actual problems.

Edited by Byron Dickens

8 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

What’s interesting is the OP screen shot shows that stupid Basic workspace control bar which does not include the module with the global mute toggle. 

That's odd.  On my PC the workspace says "Record" not "Basic." 

8 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

It is documented and it is also documented that "M" is for markers.  Perhaps you should have RTFM before bringing a two year old thread back from the dead, spouting off half cocked and making yourself look like an *****

Since @Arpeggio Blues only had 2 posts I just assumed he or she hadn't read the manual and so I ignored the admittedly off-base, inappropriate rant yesterday. But I almost wrote, "I will leave it to others to take you to task for your rant." 

I hope this thread doesn't get locked from an escalation of insults. I was rather pleased with myself for figuring out (1) what K did, (2) verifying that it did work (3) noticing that the foreground and background colors of clips do indeed change to indicate mute/unmute status, and (3) politely pointing out where @Arpeggio Blues failed to read the ancient posts which referred to Clips (not Tracks) thereby missing something important. 

10 hours ago, User 905133 said:

BTW, please note that several people mentioned muting and unmuting clips:

On 9/7/2021 at 8:02 AM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

It looks like you may have accidentally muted the clips ( highlight and press K to mute or unmute ) ☺️  [emphasis added]

On 6/26/2022 at 11:04 PM, Riplead said:

Holy cow. I don't record a lot, and that was driving me nuts. I thought mute was mute. Didn't know there was a mute for clips. Thanks!!!  [emphasis added]

11 hours ago, Arpeggio Blues said:

. . . If were to MUTE a track using the "K" as stated, why is the NO OTHER indicator that it is muted?   [emphasis added]

In reviving this ancient thread (more than a year old) your diatribe seems to be confusing tracks with clips:

Hope this helps.

Personal request for @Arpeggio Blues

12 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

What’s interesting is the OP screen shot shows that stupid Basic workspace control bar which does not include the module with the global mute toggle.

Yes, OP should modify the workspace or choose one that shows the Mix Module. Or, my personal prefernce, set Workspace to "None'.

• Like 1

Ahh, keyboard short cut blues. Put up you hand if you've never accidentally pressed a shortcut key without realizing it! Right. 

My classic is thinking the C key is "Copy" like in all other software. Poof! no control bar? 

Or you go to type a name in a track and not being a Typist you are looking at your keyboard instead of the dialogue box.   When you look up Cakewalk has become a mess>  I wanted to name a track " Cabinet" for a guitar track. Looked up to discover my Control bar was gone, I now have an Arranger track, the browser closed, The inspector is now open and it wasn't, and there's a tool menu floating by the box I was typing into which of course still says Track 6. Oh I later figured out the N = snap and not sure what E does but glad it doesn't erase all! ,  

But I'm happy someone dug up this dead body because now I know what happens when I press K. I didn't know that one and this has happened to me a lot. I'm going to re assign that one to something harmless right away! I wonder if I can get it to mean Koffee break? 

Edited by Bass Guitar

I remember using Premiere Pro for the first time and finding it extremely weird that S wasn't used as "split track" like most of the other NLEs and DAWs I used. It was CTRL+K. I learned that from the manual.  I guess K is for ... Kut? And CTRL because why not?

Cakewalk follows a lot of other Windows conventions though, like CTRL+C / X / V for cut/copy/paste, so it makes sense when you look at it like that. When everything switched over to the Skylight interface back in the day, they re-thought out all of the keyboard shortcuts and the priority was obviously to the most common/important tasks, so M for Markers for example made more sense than Mute note, and was consistent with other similar software.

There's absolutely no reason people can't get in and modify the keyboard shortcuts though. I was constantly hitting E instead of R when I was going for a take and bypassing audio effects (that was the default). I just remapped that to Stop - I'd rather it stopped recording and not give me a "oh you thought you were recording? Lolz" "take" and all of my synths and effects go away on me.  It's very customisable software, make it your own. :) 

• Like 1