What we have missed

garvelu

It's a really nice tune and the bass sound reminds me of a Lou Reed song (Men of Good Fortune) which is no bad thing. As others have noted, guitar too loud in the mix - and don't forget that you can automate the mix with time, bringing parameters up and down as you require them to make the mix the way you want it. That's what I do anyway. Keep it up, Cakewalk is a great toy and keeps me occupied for hours at a time.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Keith!  😊 I've also play and play with Cakewalk for many hours... It became my favourite toy 😅

I've done a third mix, with a lower volume for the lead guitar, and I tried to make greater variations on the "Velocity" value too...

I think the song had a great improvement thank to your advices, so... thank you all again

I just listened to all three versions of this song, and I can hear the steady improvement with each mix.  You have a terrific song to work with, and with just a few adjustments this could be a gem.  On the last version, I hear a tiny bit of distortion on the bass or low end element of the mix, which can easily be tamed by backing it down a tad or using less compression (if you're using it).  It has enough bottom to carry the song.  As for the guitar, it has improved but is lacking a bit of "warmth" to my ears.  Perhaps, adding a db or two in the 300-500 hz range, or cutting some upper mids a bit in the 2 khz area.  Either way, when you get there, you will have something to be proud of.

• Thanks 1

Well, I've made a new mix trying to follow all your advices:

Rev. #4 Changes:
.- Lead Guitar: EQ Changes, trying to achieve a warmer sound
.- Bass: EQ & compression changes to avoid distortion
.- E-Piano: Transposed 1 octave up on the bridge and Delay & Reverb removed. It was way too bass, and with the effects it was some like a muddy background instead of "harmonic support"
.- Drums: Hihat on 8's instead of 16's

Thank you all again 🙂

I think this song has noticeably improved with every version!  Way to go!

You might try and make sure the piano isn't masking the guitar melody.

You could try some complimentary EQing on both tracks:  example - slightly boost desireble frequency  on the guitar and cut these same frequencies

on the keys...or select a different timbre or patch for the keys (maybe a softer DX7 type tone or..... You get the idea, just some sound that compliments and doesn't compete for the same space.

I would personally add some more oomph to the kick drum too - totally subjective but might be worth a try.

You have written a nice tune with a catchy melody.  Way to go!

Eric

• Like 1