Which to install first? Melodyne (purchased) or Sonar?

twelvetone

I am rebuilding my DAW on a brand new PC from scratch.

I have my own, purchased version of Melodyne Studio 4.2.4.

Sonar Platinum also comes with a minimal version of Melodyne.

To avoid conflicts and ease the installation process, which should I install first?

Melodyne or Sonar?

Obviously I want my Studio version to come up when I use it.

The Melodyne 4 installer that shipped with Platinum was the same as the one that came from Celemony when the Platinum installer was created.

There is only one Melodyne 4 installer. It includes Essential, Assistant, Editor and Studio. The license unlocks the feature set.

That said, it is unlikely the Melodyne installer included with Platinum was the last version so might as well skip it and grab the last one from your Celemony account.

It won't matter which one you install first. If Essential is already installed along with Cakewalk, the Celemony installer will simply overwrite it with the Studio version. I prefer installing the DAW first and testing before any third-party add-ons are installed, so I've got a confident baseline to start with.

(btw, I'd encourage you to consider investing in the Melodyne 5 upgrade. I was initially reluctant to do so, since version 4 already did everything I needed (so did versions 2 and 3, for that matter). But I am loving the new global leveling feature. It's a real timesaver if you have a lot of vocal tracks and/or multi-part harmonies.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 to Melodyne 5. They offered it for $99 as an upgrade and it was well worth the price. I could never get my head around it in the past so continue using V vocal. I watched the video of the M5 release and finally got it. I think it is much improved and less buggy than 4.