No Sound After Idle (hardware output disappears) - SOLVED

Myriad Rocker

Hey all. I'm having what I think is kind of an unusual issue. If I leave Cakewalk open and walk away for awhile, when I come back and hit play, there won't be any sound. The "Mains" disappear from the master. If I close and reopen the song, it tells me there are no hardware mains. I have to restart Cakewalk to get it back. It's like the interface goes to sleep or something. However, that's not the case because other audio outside of Cakewalk plays fine. I feel like I'm missing something here. Any ideas?

Edited by Myriad Rocker

Sometimes (usually after I forget or don't have time to reset my "Don't Sleep" settings after a Windows update) my PC takes some sort of nap and I temporarily lose access to some of my usb devices. Perhaps you need to revisit those settings? I know I have some lists of settings tweaks saved somewhere, but I usually just do an internet search for "windows tweaks for audio gear."  Sometimes different lists will have a tweak or two I hadn't done before.

Edited by User 905133
  • Thanks 1

You have to explicitly tell Windows to not put USB ports to sleep.

Open Device Manager and scroll down to the USB devices. There may be a bunch of them, but if you don't know which one connects your audio interface it's OK to do this to all of them. Un-check the "allow computer to turn off" option. (It's not unchecked in the screenshot below because I don't use a USB interface and therefore don't need to worry about it.)

usb1.png

usb2.png

• Thanks 1