EQ->COMP or COMP->EQ, when do you and why?

Bapu

COMP->EQ most of the time: compression can change how an instrument sounds, so EQ goes after to let it fit better in a mix.

If something's hyped somewhere and is going to unnaturally trigger the compressor, then EQ both before and after.

I don't usually do EQ->COMP only.

• Like 2

HI:) 

Mostly Comp--> EQ, but sometimes as a Deesser for example the other way. Boost a frequency and it get's more compressed.

Accoustic Guitars for Frequncies you doesn't want, Boost on EQ, then use Compressor. 

Now I have this in the 2 way Deesser in the Schepps Omnichannel. Very helpful!

Bassman.

EQ generally last because it's the one you're more likely to continue tweaking as the mix progresses. EQ changes levels, which assures you'll have to go back and readjust the comp threshold. Putting EQ last means you're less likely to screw up something else down the chain.

This has long been the standard for hardware consoles that feature integrated channel compression, including my current Yamaha stage mixer. Of course, such compressors are primitive and don't offer anywhere near the flexibility of software compressors - such as sidechain filters.

The exception to the EQ-last rule is if the compressor doesn't have a HPF on the sidechain input. In that case, EQ should precede compression, especially if you're cleaning up mud by rolling off lows on guitars and vocals. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

if you have a kick that has too much pop at, say, 50 hz....

and you compress that....

the kick and signal from 50 hz is what will make the compressor work.

if you EQ the kick 1st,

and calm the 50 hz in line with what you really need,

the compressor works less hard.

and so on, ad naseum.

it's all dependent on the track, and the need.

• Like 1

Worst-case scenario is a full mix with a lot of accidental subsonic content. If you don't EQ that out before compression, you'll be left scratching your head wondering why your mix sounds so lifeless. Fortunately, mastering compressors usually have a HPF in the sidechain for just that situation, so even then EQing first isn't always necessary.

• Like 1

you can ruin a mix, by putting a compressor behind a track that needed eq first.

drives the compressor nuts.

bottom line, like mark said, you need to have the mix right to start with.

that's why i like to mix into sub busses, so i can treat the different parts of the band on their own sonic merits.

if i eq'd individual tracks right, there shouldn't be a build up of eq at the sub bus level, but sometimes it happens.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

COMP -> EQ is what I use. But I have seen more and more that there is no general standard. When I watched some of the more experienced engineers online, who actually know what they are doing as opposed to me, I get the impression they approach software and plugins differently than hardware. it seems to me they will just use a combination that sounds good to them and gives them the sound they are looking for. Maybe it's the flexibility of software and the fact that its not hardwired so you are really free to do whatever you want. The only limit is the system resources of the computer you are using. If 10 compressors in a row give you the sound you need, Just go for it.

The FX ordering Fillipo did here really made be re-think what I am doing with the software I use.

Edited by telecode 101

• 4 weeks later...

I tend to use some sort of notch eq before the compressor and then sweetening afterwards. I found when recording my acoustic guitars and vocals quite a bit both from mic and direct from the guitar, there was always some harsh dominant frequency or 2, probably because I don't use top line high end equipment, when I notched that/those out a bit it acted a bit like a compressor creating a smoother sound and wave form. Just sounded smoother to me and easier on the compressor which doesn't then have to work so hard to compress horrid harsh dominant frequencies.