Acustica Flash Sale - Pensado EQ

cclarry

I thought Acustica we past these high prices, they seem to have crept up again. Last year they were hitting the 40-50 euro mark. None of the AA plugins are worth these high prices

Edited by tom

55 minutes ago, tom said:

I thought Acustica we past these high prices, they seem to have crept up again. Last year they were hitting the 40-50 euro mark. None of the AA plugins are worth these high prices

They're only at 40 to 100 Euros during their sales...

27 minutes ago, cclarry said:

They're only at 40 to 100 Euros during their sales...

Yeah true, I just remember there seemed to be constant sales across the range of their products, with much bigger discounts. Recently it’s only be one or two plugs with middling discounts. Black Friday is always great at AA so I’m happy to wait 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

So what makes this EQ so special, besides the name attached to it? I can't see myself spending 130 euros on an EQ unless it is the bees knees and blows all other EQs out of the water.

The price is steep.  Even with this 'sale'.  No one should purchase this at this price point without demoing it throughly (ESPECIALLY with Acustica's weird ***** installation and auth process which has gotten a bit better, and the quirkiness of their plug in's on certain rigs).  I cannot overstate how important it is to demo their plug in's before buying them to make sure you can deal with the downsides to their plug in's and determine if the upsides are worth it to you.  With that said...

I like this EQ a lot.  This, Ruby, Taupe, and El Rey are my favs from Acustica.  It's basically a compilation of different EQ's along with some pre amp choices.  

Pre 1 is beefy and ends some nice crunch to top end material.  Pre 2 is more top endy- you'll notice a musical bump around 10k that doesn't really get harsh and can be blissful on acoustic guitar.  Yes- I've used this just for the coloration of the pres.  

The EQ has a variety of flavors from some of the best EQ's made- Pultec, Neve, Maag, Focusrite, API, GML (the frequency points are detented and not sweepable between frequency) as well as some others that either had to be newly created or greatly tweaked versions of things like Baxandall eq....  50 and 80 hertz are these funky batman type EQ curves and are distinctively different than the rest of the low bands and the most unique- I was just expecting them to be the tweaked ole fateful Pultec sounding bands but they are not.  The low end the peak/shelf is fixed, low mid it's peak fixed, high mid shelf fixed and high the shelf is fixed.  So there is a limitation in a sense that you cannot adjust all the Q settings, etc but the upside is that it sounds good from the jump.  The other downside in workflow to having a 'greatest hits' type eq like this is if you are EQing something and you are close at, say, 330 (Neve) and want to go up in frequency the next detent is 650 which switches to a more Maag eq type.   This is not unlike doing the same thing with hardware if you were switching between hardware as you switch through EQ points.  

The HPF and LPF are very GMLish. 

My honest opinion... run the demo now, then hold off for a Black Friday sale if you can wait that long.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

What, and you don't think the Pensado EQ is not 100 times better? 😉

I don't know man. For my needs, the $1 version to tinker around with is good enough. But one thing I picked up from my reading list..

"Many analog signal
processors have software plug-in versions where the screen image of the plug-in is nearly
identical to the faceplate of the hardware device. Sometimes, because the two devices look
identical, it may be tempting to think that they also sound identical. Unfortunately, they do
not always sound alike but it is possible to be fooled into thinking the sound is replicated
as perfectly as well as the visual representation of the device, especially if we do not have
the analog version for comparison. Suffice it to say there is not always a direct translation
between analog electronics and the computer code that performs the equivalent digital signal
processing, and there are various ways to create models of analog circuits; thus we have differences
in sound quality. That may be fine, because we can treat a plug-in for what it is
rather than as a model of some historically important piece of gear
."

Edited by telecode 101

1 hour ago, telecode 101 said:

I don't know man. For my needs, the $1 version to tinker around with is good enough. But one thing I picked up from my reading list..

"Many analog signal
processors have software plug-in versions where the screen image of the plug-in is nearly
identical to the faceplate of the hardware device. Sometimes, because the two devices look
identical, it may be tempting to think that they also sound identical. Unfortunately, they do
not always sound alike but it is possible to be fooled into thinking the sound is replicated
as perfectly as well as the visual representation of the device, especially if we do not have
the analog version for comparison. Suffice it to say there is not always a direct translation
between analog electronics and the computer code that performs the equivalent digital signal
processing, and there are various ways to create models of analog circuits; thus we have differences
in sound quality. That may be fine, because we can treat a plug-in for what it is
rather than as a model of some historically important piece of gear
."

No worries, I was simply sarcastic. 130 euros is about $150 which makes this plugin 100 times more expensive than your $1.50 IK eq, and it can't be 100 times better if better it even is!

1 hour ago, Jacques Boileau said:

No worries, I was simply sarcastic. 130 euros is about $150 which makes this plugin 100 times more expensive than your $1.50 IK eq, and it can't be 100 times better if better it even is!

it might be. but i look at it as what sort of  ROI can I get on this. trust me. i aint making 100x more on music with or without that Acoustica plugin.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 2