Kontakt recommended 3rd party devs - not a deal

Marshall

Just picked up the full version of Kontakt on a crossgrade deal for €124 and am aware that one of the benefits is the availability of relatively cheap third party libraries. 

Are there certain developers you'd recommend for such goodies? 

Edited by Marshall
  • Like 1

Some of my favorites, though not all "cheap"
8DIO - Sale right now and a Insolidus Choir ($498) free if you spend $198
Wavesfactory
Keepforest
Sample Logic
SoundIron
Impact Soundworks
Frozen Plain
Best Service
Zero G

There a ZILLION freebies out there too!

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 2

Dont' forget my favorite, Orange Tree Samples. And so many others...oh, wait...you said "cheap," they are not, unless you get one of their deals and build up "orange slices" discounts, plus their annual group buy--which has recently ended for this year. Maybe Black Friday will bring some bargains. The quality is outstanding; I think it's well worth it.

Edited by Dave Maffris
added info
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Something also to be aware of...

The CHEAP Libraries are not "Player" compatible, and therefore will NOT show up on the 
Library tab.  You'll have to navigate to the files using Windows Explorer or through the 
browser in Kontakt.  

Kontakt Player Libraries are more expensive, as the Dev  has to pay a larger fee to NI,
but they WILL show up on the Library tab in Kontakt.  They usually tend to be "better"
also.

• Like 2

On the topic of full Kontakt libraries not appearing in the graphical libraries tab, it's well worth familiarising yourself with the "Quick load" panel; it's like setting up bookmarks in your browser. Once you get your libraries bookmarked there, it's actually more convenient than to scroll through a long list of player-compatible libraries and its a million times easier than browsing your hd to find the library each time you want to use it. I have only been collecting Kontakt libraries for a short while, I don't have a huge number and I categorise mine by company name, then library name, and then I have the instrument and any snapshots in the next level down. At some point it might be worth organising them by instrument type. The great thing is there's nothing stopping you from having kontakt libraries categorised in more than one way if you like, so I could add a second set of category folders in addition to the company name ones. 

Another tip is I have found some larger full Kontakt libraries can be slow to load initially. There's a "batch re-save" feature that helps Kontakt avoid having to search for files during loading, which can speed the initial load time before the library UI appears from as long as a minute, down to a few seconds. Not every library needs it, but for those that take a minute to load its a real disincentive to use them. After batch re-saving, they load much faster. 

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

I've got Komplete ultimate 13 and while there are a lot of synths/synth instruments in there, every one of them seems to have a different interface. Sometimes I think it would have been better from a workflow perspective to just get one really good synth and meticulously learn how to use it. It's a bit tiring to be confronted with completely different GUI's every time I want to search for some sound for projects. The presets are no help at all, just a barrage of totally different sounds. I've always had that problem with synths though. The other VST instruments like sample based libraries are fine, theres not so much going on.

UVI. EastWest Play. Orchestral Tools Sine. Best Service Engine. Recent Spitfire.

Pretty much all other sampled instruments are  Kontakt, right?

Anyway, check out these freebies:

https://vstbuzz.com/freebies/

There's really no kind of instrument that you can't get for free with Full Kontakt. 
Like, for example, you can't get ALL the world instruments for free.  But you can put together a nice collection with freebies.

• Like 1