Missing Instrument Track in Project Template? (WORK AROUND)

XBaker

Hello!

I'm using release 2021.06 of Cakewalk by Bandlab. I have a project file with an Instrument Track (True Piano). I saved the project as a Template. If I start a new project from the template, the Instrument track is missing.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a limitation of project templates?

Thanks for any advice.

Tom

Edited by XBaker
Workaround found

Workaround Sort Of?

If I start a new project from a template, add an Instrument Track, and re-save the template, new projects based on the template don't include the Instrument Track.

If however, after starting the new project from a template and adding an Instrument Track, if I first save it as a Normal (CWP) project, it seems I can then save it as a Template, and the next time I start a project based on that template, it includes the Instrument Track.

OTOH, this didn't always seem to work. I had to do save as a Normal project more than once before I could successfully save it as a Template.

I also noticed that my MIDI Track Settings (Input & Output) didn't always persist. That, too, seems dependent on saving as a Normal project at least once or twice before it would save correctly as a Template.

It all seems very odd, and I have no explanation. Maybe I'm just lucky ... or unlucky.

Thanks,

Tom

Try saving the updated template file in a temp location, then use file explorer to copy into actual template folder, overwriting old file.

Seems that Cakewalk would not overwrite an existing template file even though I gave it permission when it asked.

My workflow would have been open template, make changes, don't do a save as a project file, just change offered file type from project to template, save, say ok to "overwrite existing". But datetime stamp of target file in template folder would not change so no overwrite occurred.

I do this so seldom I don't think I reported it as a bug with documentation.  @scook ?

Edited by Steve Harder
Add info