Anyone Using RollerMouse [Solved]

Bill Phillips

Question

I'm looking for a replacement for  my mouse and the RollerMouse looks interesting. It's totally different than a mouse and keeps both hands on the keyboard; and it has 7 fully configurable and easily accessible buttons.  

It's also expensive. So finding satisfied users who use it the way I will can make it easier for me to make the move.

My biggest issue is with the mouse's left-click button, particularly for click-and-drag. What I'm dragging often drops or my click becomes a double-click while I'm holding the button down.

Also I have various types of risk and hand pains that are aggravated by mouse use.

Edited by Bill Phillips

13 answers to this question

I used it at work about 10 years ago.

Easy to learn and get used to but it takes time to get good at it. Especially when drawing curves.

You can't move the mousepointer as fast as with a regular mouse, with precision.

I think it also had switches at the endstop of the rollbar and when pressed down.

I liked it but missed the speed and precision of the regular mouse so i went back to that.

I used left hand for holding leftclick button while moving the rollbar with the right hand when i drag and dropped. But buttons and switches where programmable so a button could be told to leftclick and hold at first press and let go of the hold on the second press.

Edited by Kurre
Addition.
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

Thanks. Maybe I'll try this. Considerably less expensive ($86 including a wrist pad) and probably easier to use than the RollerMouse.

Yeah. There's way cheaper versions too.

Although, i'm only familiar with the one in the previous link. I don't own one personally, but I do work on one every second week or so. It is so precise, easy and so comfortable to work with. The studio I do work for, has been using the same one over 4/5years now. Dont aim for the "slimblade" one. I think it will be a little uncomfortable for you, or not. Its will be best if you go test them in store somewhere. 

You also get the ORBIT one Orbit Trackball

You also get the Spacemouse 3Dconnexion Spacemouse

The third one would be the DeLux Ergonomic Wireless mouse.

Also:  Ergonomic vertical mouse.

All of them within the CAD realm, so it should be comfortable and friendly on the wrist. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kurre said:

I used it at work about 10 years ago.

Easy to learn and get used to but it takes time to get good at it. Especially when drawing curves.

You can't move the mousepointer as fast as with a regular mouse, with precision.

I think it also had switches at the endstop of the rollbar and when pressed down.

I liked it but missed the speed and precision of the regular mouse so i went back to that.

I used left hand for holding leftclick button while moving the rollbar with the right hand when i drag and dropped. But buttons and switches where programmable so a button could be told to leftclick and hold at first press and let go of the hold on the second press.

Thank you. Very helpful. I hadn't considered the non-intuitive motion (rolling/sliding) required to draw a curve. That could be difficult to learn. And precision and accuracy could suffer. 

So far I don't draw many curves but I often do move automation nodes horizontally and vertically at the same time which might suffer those precision and accuracy problems. 

Thanks again. 

8 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

You might want to look at the Kensington Expert Trackball too. It's in almost every studio today. 

Thanks. Maybe I'll try this. Considerably less expensive ($86 including a wrist pad) and probably easier to use than the RollerMouse.

I remember seeing lots of these on Computer Aided Design (CAD) designer's desks. And they could quickly and accurately make precision moves all day every day without moving their hand or wrist except to spin the scroll ring. 

Are you aware of any issues with the wireless version or of any useful accessories? 

Thanks again. 

On 9/2/2021 at 12:00 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

Yeah. There's way cheaper versions too.

Although, i'm only familiar with the one in the previous link. I don't own one personally, but I do work on one every second week or so. It is so precise, easy and so comfortable to work with. The studio I do work for, has been using the same one over 4/5years now. Dont aim for the "slimblade" one. I think it will be a little uncomfortable for you, or not. Its will be best if you go test them in store somewhere. 

You also get the ORBIT one Orbit Trackball

You also get the Spacemouse 3Dconnexion Spacemouse

The third one would be the DeLux Ergonomic Wireless mouse.

Also:  Ergonomic vertical mouse.

All of them within the CAD realm, so it should be comfortable and friendly on the wrist. 

Thanks for the additional options. They all seem to have advantages. I still think I will give the Kensington Expert Trackball you first suggested a try.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 1:04 PM, chimkin2 said:

There is a good review of the Rollermouse here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68yTRNkgO0&t=134s

For the record I hate trackballs ! Really really hate them ! Ever since Missile Command ( 1980 )

Thanks. The review was informative. Do you use the rollermouse? I think I'm going to give a trackball a try. Hopefully I'll like it more than you do.

32 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

This should give you a pretty good idea on how long the Trackball has been in Studios. 

Readball right corner. 

20210907_222207.png.ed42a7cad249a1cd0e2c6bd732ddc43a.png

I've definitely saw those when they were introduced but can't remember when that was. 🤣 And the picture resolution isn't high enough for me determine whether the displays are character or pixel based. So I'm guessing late 80's or early 90's.

Edited by Bill Phillips
  • Like 1