Melodyne losing edits?

Murray Webster

The following scenario has happened quite a bit over the last couple of months for me. I have Melodyne 5 Studio and the latest CwB. I fortunately have found a work around, still this never happened in the past and I am just hoping it resolves itself in the future.

So here is teh scenario:

1. I edit a track using melodyne.
2. when I come back to the project, the edits are physically there, but when I play the song no output is heard from that particular track. Zero output.
3. When this happens, if I "freeze" the track, the frozen track shows zero waveform ('tho the edits and wave form are present in the pre-frozen track).

Now this has resulted in several "gotcha" moments but fortunately there are two work arounds.

1. Freeze the track before I save the project, or,

2. If I forget and no output is heard, I do this:
a. Right mouse click remove melodyne 
b. Immediately "undo" (for me, CTRL-Z).

Doing #2 restores the clips ability to output and preserves the edits.  It works, works every time actually, but is annoying.

The dead-output melodyne clip in CwB doesn't happen always, but maybe that's because I now freeze the tracks right after editing.... 

IN am in WIndows 10 pro, 32 GB, my CwB is healthy as a horse so far as I know and this has been happening over at least 2 of 3 updates.

I use melodyne a lot and have never had this happen. The only time i have had a clip go silent or render a flat line is if it is muted which i can do by the shortcut k. Its weird if you remove it then undo it behaves normally. Good to know if i ever have this happen. 

Most people bounce to clips after making an edit, which is the solution to this problem.  If, however, one can't make up their mind if they want to keep the edits, then do your Melodyne edits on a copy of your track (and archive the original track, in case you want to make changes later) then bounce to clips.  I recommend that you edit only short phrases at a time to shorten the process.

• Like 1

Exactly. Regional effects have always been on the edge for me so years ago I developed the habit of always copy the track first. Then chop it into short clips. No more than 2 measures. Then after the edit I render the regional effect. Never had it not work. 
If you want to redo something it’s pretty easy to copy from the original 

Edited by John Vere

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 8:06 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

☺ How do you mean losing edits? Before, during, after? 

More details are needed for answers. 

Thanks Will, sorry for the late reply. I know, I haven't done a close analysis as I was busy fixing, but it seems that the Pitch Modulations previously entered are no longer working or shown graphically. I will try to document when it happens again.

M

Edited by Murray Webster

On 9/2/2021 at 9:34 AM, Rickddd said:

The following scenario has happened quite a bit over the last couple of months for me. I have Melodyne 5 Studio and the latest CwB. I fortunately have found a work around, still this never happened in the past and I am just hoping it resolves itself in the future.

So here is teh scenario:

1. I edit a track using melodyne.
2. when I come back to the project, the edits are physically there, but when I play the song no output is heard from that particular track. Zero output.
3. When this happens, if I "freeze" the track, the frozen track shows zero waveform ('tho the edits and wave form are present in the pre-frozen track).

Now this has resulted in several "gotcha" moments but fortunately there are two work arounds.

1. Freeze the track before I save the project, or,

2. If I forget and no output is heard, I do this:
a. Right mouse click remove melodyne 
b. Immediately "undo" (for me, CTRL-Z).

Doing #2 restores the clips ability to output and preserves the edits.  It works, works every time actually, but is annoying.

The dead-output melodyne clip in CwB doesn't happen always, but maybe that's because I now freeze the tracks right after editing.... 

IN am in WIndows 10 pro, 32 GB, my CwB is healthy as a horse so far as I know and this has been happening over at least 2 of 3 updates.

Thanks Rickddd. Yes, I have had this happening since May or June - thanks for the workaround, I'll try it! Bit of a pain with lots of LVs, BVs harmony clips etc

M