Ionia (melodic pop instrumental with guitar and bass)

Larry T.

to hear latest iteration of ionia please click here:

Greetings. Just joined. Brand new to the whole home recording scene. Here's a tune I wrote and recorded using a Boss RC-5 Loop pedal I got a few months ago. Instrumental called Ionia with guitars and bass. Will be doing the Cakewalk software thing as soon as I get a newer PC that can run it smoothly. Good Luck everyone!!!!

Edited by Larry T.
update.

Thank You very much jack c. Yes, I am working on a few other sections....it's very much a work in progress.

The chord voiceings consist of the notes contained in the Ionian mode, hence the title Ionia. It's just I trick I use at times to get a new perspective on the guitar and writing music in general.

7 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Agree with what Jack said - hurry up and save enough for that new computer!!

This could be really good 

Nigel

Thank You Nigel. Well, good news is I checked my PC's specs and they are ok for a Cakewalk dl so I did the dl last night. But now the real fun starts. I imported the wav file but need to get an audio interface and MIDI keyboard to record the guitars and bass and access the plug ins. I'm learning all this as I go along so it's all stuff you guys have already been through. I'll probably go to a Guitar Center and talk with the software/recording staff to see what they say as well as watch more Cakewalk videos. Thanks again for the compliment 🎶 🎸

Edited by Larry T.
clarity.

Larry , Nice guitar and bass work. I hope you get an interface and monitors soon. You are going to be amazed with the sound you can get using a daw and its tools. I went a Lot of years without a midi keyboard. There's a lot you can do in piano roll view with just a mouse. Check out the videos by "creative sauce" . I've used Sonar/Cakewalk forever and he's still a big help. Looking forward to your progress.    mark

• Like 1

That's a pretty chord progression, Larry.  I look forward to hearing this when you're satisfied with it.  Good luck with the new PC, however, take anything GC says with a grain of salt.  They're not supportive of CW because it's free, and their goal is to sell, sell, sell.  If an audio interface and MIDI controller is all you need then read through this forum.  This has been covered many times.  

• Like 1

Thanks mark and Lynn. I did go to GC last Friday and managed to pick up three things: 

1. Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface

2. Arturia Minilab MKII universal MIDI controller

3. a cable to run from a mic to the audio interface

I found the YT Creative Sauce tutorials by Mike to be the best. He is the only one to mention the AISO driver I needed to get CW up and running.

****IMPORTANT**** The first Google return I got for a search for "AISO for all" was to a site that wanted me to give them $9.99/month!!!!! NEW USERS AVOID THAT CRAP.****

I looked a bit further and recognized a CNET site that had the dl for free. Installed and I now have CW, Scarlett and Arturia up and, somewhat, running. to be continued....

Edited by Larry T.
clarity.
  • Like 1

that was waiting for drums in sections, i think it would help you groove when playing and find  more direction.  Get some midi drums grooves hooked up which will give you more freedom. Creative Sauce tutorials by Mike will also help in that direction which you mention with the basics 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As of today, September 15, 2021, I'm in the process of creating a mix for the stuff I've added to the original Boss RC-5 .wav file which was imported quite easily into a CbB project. Managed to add some synth's (the Minilab mkII and CbB I-Strings) and percussion (CbB I-drums), re-did the EQ for the original file and pondering another guitar overdub of some kind (acoustic and/or some treated electric).

I can't list all the things I managed to learn in the past few weeks....quite a bit....but one thing I never anticipated is how important the final mix is. Achieving a really delicate and pleasing to the ear balance of all the tracks.

Also, the realization of how each instrument has its own set position in the audio spectrum....which limits what other instruments in that audio position can be added.

........cheers!!!!

Edited by Larry T.
clarity.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...