Synth Rack Constantly reverting to docked!

Keni

I just find it amazing that this isn't bothering others.

It doesn't stop and is driving me mad(er)!

I float the synth rack, but if I close it and save the program, next open and the synth rack is back in the browser docked!!!

It is only remembered if I keep the synth rack open every time I save.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this helps , but if I set the HW strip to narrow and open the synth rack floating then save the project and close CbB, it reopens that project the same way.

Screensets are saved with the project, so however you set up the screen when you save that project is how it will open that project next time.

If you switch screensets at any time during a session, CbB will ask you to save that change when closing. If you say no, it will revert to the last saved screenset when reopening.

46 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Not sure if this helps , but if I set the HW strip to narrow and open the synth rack floating then save the project and close CbB, it reopens that project the same way.

Screensets are saved with the project, so however you set up the screen when you save that project is how it will open that project next time.

If you switch screensets at any time during a session, CbB will ask you to save that change when closing. If you say no, it will revert to the last saved screenset when reopening.

I get the same result with HW strip normal.

The problem is the next step. 

After rack is floating.

close rack

save

re-open saved project

open synth rack.

Where is it? Mine opens up docked in the browser once again!

1 hour ago, scook said:

Don't do this, instead; do this

• minimize the view or
  • toggle the view from the menu or 
  • ALT+9

I typically use alt-9 and the problem is as I explained.

Minimizing is uncomfortable adding extra clicks to expose it then expand it.

Toggle from menu? I doubt I’ve tried that as I avoid as much mousing and menu diving as I can. I'll see what it does, but as clumsy to deal with as undocking every session...

I'm hoping it can be fixed so that it remembers it's established state...

2 hours ago, scook said:

Don't do this, instead; do this

• minimize the view or
  • toggle the view from the menu or 
  • ALT+9

Not sure what's happening but I can close it and upon reopening project/CbB it's floating.

Suspect it may be something to do with how Keni's screensets/workspaces are setup.

Just now, sjoens said:

Suspect it may be something to do with how Keni's screensets/workspaces are setup.

Possibly.

I don't mess with either so screensets always loads the default #1 and workspaces is set to None.

I don't use floating views with the exception of the video view but they persist when I test.

Even when I had a second monitor, everything ran docked except the video view.

I use screensets, but not workspaces which is at none...

I float the synth rack and the PRV.

The PRV has no problem. It consistently opens as I configured it back when Sliverlight was introduced.

Synth Rack is driving me batty. It is more convenient for me floating and wider than typical in browser dock.

I don’t think it has always behaved this way, but it's possible as it’s origin is so old it's a faded memory for me.

If I leave it open when saved, it remains undocked when re-opened. If I close the floating rack and save, it is again docked re-opening the project...

On 9/3/2021 at 9:49 AM, Keni said:

That's a bit confusing to me... I thought the whole multidock/windowing environment was all silverlight???

Neither Silverlight nor sliverlight (sic) has anything to do with SONAR or Cakewalk and its user interface.

Silverlight was an audio/video streaming technology developed by Microsoft. Netflix and Amazon Prime both used it. Microsoft announced 8 years ago that they were going to end-of-life it in favor of HTML5.

Skylight, on the other hand, is the name that Cakewalk, Inc. gave the concept of the dockable rearrangeable views. How there's the main one being the track view, and in addition to that the other ones which may be opened or closed or floated as needs and screen real estate dictate. With the Multidock, which is the usual home for the larger views like PRV, Staff, Console.

The overall concept is called The Skylight Interface, the name has nothing to do with 3rd-party technology.

It's one of Cakewalk's strong suits, IMO. Once I got good at it, I could really fly through the various views as I needed to focus on them, much more efficiently than something like Ableton Live! that tries to have everything up on the screen at once. I guess the idea is to have as much as possible instantly available (not surprising given the program's origins). The reality is that there are people like me still using a14" screen notebook. A DAW user is usually going to be focused on one task or another and doesn't need to see the Piano Roll and the Console at the same time.

I have Vegas Movie Studio open on my other monitor while it's taking over an hour to render out a 4 minute video. I don't mind the layout, although it's kind of homely, but it forces me to keep open views and panels that I don't care about, and none of them can be floated outside the main window. It's poop for dual monitor work. The big brother, Vegas Pro, is a little more dual monitor friendly because I can float my preview window over to another monitor.

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Neither Silverlight nor sliverlight (sic) has anything to do with SONAR or Cakewalk and its user interface.

Silverlight was an audio/video streaming technology developed by Microsoft. Netflix and Amazon Prime both used it. Microsoft announced 8 years ago that they were going to end-of-life it in favor of HTML5.

Skylight, on the other hand, is the name that Cakewalk, Inc. gave the concept of the dockable rearrangeable views. How there's the main one being the track view, and in addition to that the other ones which may be opened or closed or floated as needs and screen real estate dictate. With the Multidock, which is the usual home for the larger views like PRV, Staff, Console.

The overall concept is called The Skylight Interface, the name has nothing to do with 3rd-party technology.

It's one of Cakewalk's strong suits, IMO. Once I got good at it, I could really fly through the various views as I needed to focus on them, much more efficiently than something like Ableton Live! that tries to have everything up on the screen at once. I guess the idea is to have as much as possible instantly available (not surprising given the program's origins). The reality is that there are people like me still using a14" screen notebook. A DAW user is usually going to be focused on one task or another and doesn't need to see the Piano Roll and the Console at the same time.

I have Vegas Movie Studio open on my other monitor while it's taking over an hour to render out a 4 minute video. I don't mind the layout, although it's kind of homely, but it forces me to keep open views and panels that I don't care about, and none of them can be floated outside the main window. It's poop for dual monitor work. The big brother, Vegas Pro, is a little more dual monitor friendly because I can float my preview window over to another monitor.

Thanks for correcting me on the name. I was only referring to the change from layers to lanes etc. that occurred. I have nothing against the overall change but some issues have still not been satisfactorily straightened out. I had no problems with the snap situation prior to the change. Right now, I’m simply requesting a single command that can turn snap on/off in PRV via shortcut. Right now this simple job requires two commands to accomplish.