Jump to content
Keni

Synth Rack Constantly reverting to docked!

Recommended Posts

This is just getting so old....

 

Items that I have tended to be patient about. It seems they don't get solved that way any more than the items I'm very outspoken on... So Here is a few things I run into for years!

Why do some structures such as the width of the hardware outputs in console and the synth rack seem to lose their assigned status?

I am constantly resizing the hardware outputs back to narrow. I never change that, but it changes...

The synth rack... I always keep it fairly wide and floating yet it constantly, randomly gets itself moved back into the Browser (docked).

 

Is there some hidden keys I might be accidentally hitting that causes this? I haven't found any though I've looked.

...or are the gremlins simply busy having fun keeping me annoyed?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha, I, too experience the mysteriously widening hardware outputs, which I've always chalked up to me forgetting to narrow them before I save my custom templates. Maybe not.

As you point out, the bakerzoids can't fix anything unless they know it's broken. They also need a set of steps to reproduce the issue, so keep an eye on it and see if you can figure out what else you're doing in the program right before they re-expand. It could be something like running Track Manager or doing an audio bounce or whatever.

As for the second, the only way I can seem to keep things float-y, Synth Rack, Mötleydöck, Inspector, whatever, is when I have them on a second monitor. It's hopeless on my laptop, as getting them anywhere near a docking hotspot will result in the blue rectangle of dockery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Ha, I, too experience the mysteriously widening hardware outputs, which I've always chalked up to me forgetting to narrow them before I save my custom templates. Maybe not.

As you point out, the bakerzoids can't fix anything unless they know it's broken. They also need a set of steps to reproduce the issue, so keep an eye on it and see if you can figure out what else you're doing in the program right before they re-expand. It could be something like running Track Manager or doing an audio bounce or whatever.

As for the second, the only way I can seem to keep things float-y, Synth Rack, Mötleydöck, Inspector, whatever, is when I have them on a second monitor. It's hopeless on my laptop, as getting them anywhere near a docking hotspot will result in the blue rectangle of dockery.

Exactly why I haven’t posted this much.

I can't find a recipe for the narrow hardware out situation. I've tried for years but see no repeated action as cause.

Now the docked/undocked status remains as long as I keep it open. Closing it, saving the piece, closing the piece, and re-opening always seems to re-dock it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

It's hopeless on my laptop, as getting them anywhere near a docking hotspot will result in the blue rectangle of dockery.

😂 OMW! It is the most ANNOYING! thing about Cakewalk. I hate that docking system with every cell known to mankind. It's just stupid. Just reading about it boils me up 😂😂 

What ever made Gibson think it's a good feature? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keni said:

This is just getting so old....

 

Items that I have tended to be patient about. It seems they don't get solved that way any more than the items I'm very outspoken on... So Here is a few things I run into for years!

Why do some structures such as the width of the hardware outputs in console and the synth rack seem to lose their assigned status?

I am constantly resizing the hardware outputs back to narrow. I never change that, but it changes...

The synth rack... I always keep it fairly wide and floating yet it constantly, randomly gets itself moved back into the Browser (docked).

 

Is there some hidden keys I might be accidentally hitting that causes this? I haven't found any though I've looked.

...or are the gremlins simply busy having fun keeping me annoyed?

 

Are you talking about this? It obeys my commands.

Meaning: it say the same size this side.

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I 5ink I didn’t explain well.

 

the hardware outputs of the console view. Randomly, change their width from narrow where I leave them to full width.

I have no issues with the docking for those who want it. My point here being that it doesn't always remember it's saved state.

 

I was unhappy when silverlight was added as well, but my issues with that was (and is) related to the myriad of display/zoom issues which (for me) have still not been satisfactorily repaired. I know many are more in need of the benefits(?) of Lanes over Layers. As soon as Lanes are involved in my view I suffer the redundant image of the promoted clips as well as the zoom nver following my lasso selected area. In the days before silverlight, it worked fine.  I waste more time fidgeting with zooms than I do most other work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I get it: you save and exit with your windows arranged a certain way (undocked) and when you come back and reopen the project, they are back in the dock. Like there's a phantom screenset being applied.

Yes, zooming in Cakewalk has improved, especially with my favorite command, the one that fits the project horizontally without expanding track height. How I would love to have that in the Piano Roll. But it's still touchier than in most programs, it just seems fidgety, like I can't keep it centered. Improved, but still fidgety.

I think the matter of vertical real estate, with lanes opened and closed, will get better under my control if I can manage to learn the keystrokes and so forth to close all lanes and the like. My poor brain can only seem to handle learning a few keystrokes at a time, so it's been slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

I think I get it: you save and exit with your windows arranged a certain way (undocked) and when you come back and reopen the project, they are back in the dock. Like there's a phantom screenset being applied.

Yes, zooming in Cakewalk has improved, especially with my favorite command, the one that fits the project horizontally without expanding track height. How I would love to have that in the Piano Roll. But it's still touchier than in most programs, it just seems fidgety, like I can't keep it centered. Improved, but still fidgety.

I think the matter of vertical real estate, with lanes opened and closed, will get better under my control if I can manage to learn the keystrokes and so forth to close all lanes and the like. My poor brain can only seem to handle learning a few keystrokes at a time, so it's been slow.

Pretty much. If I leave the synth rack undocked and visible, it's status is saved. If I undock it and place it where I wish it to appear, then close the synth rack and save the song. Re-opening the song and then opening the synth rack finds me seeing it appear docked in the Browser pane. It stays undocked if I open and close it during that session, but once I close the song with the synth rack closed, the problem repeats.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Keni said:

Pretty much. If I leave the synth rack undocked and visible, it's status is saved. If I undock it and place it where I wish it to appear, then close the synth rack and save the song. Re-opening the song and then opening the synth rack finds me seeing it appear docked in the Browser pane. It stays undocked if I open and close it during that session, but once I close the song with the synth rack closed, the problem repeats.

 

This obeys all my commands this side. If I undock the synth or browser and drag it to where I want to to be, it stays there until I move it. Irrespective if I close the project and reopen later. 

Cakewalk and its gremlins. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

This obeys all my commands this side. If I undock the synth or browser and drag it to where I want to to be, it stays there until I move it. Irrespective if I close the project and reopen later. 

Cakewalk and its gremlins. 

Did you try closing the synth rack, saving again, close and re-open the song.

Then open the synth rack. Where is it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Keni said:

Did you try closing the synth rack, saving again, close and re-open the song.

Then open the synth rack. Where is it?

 

All of the above: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 You missed an important step I believe. Close the synth rack before saving?

 

Another thought just occurred to me. I continually use alt-9 shortcut to open synth rack.

 

Edited by Keni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Keni said:

 You missed an important step I believe. Close the synth rack before saving?

I believe it's in the first Video attached. 😂

In all fairness: I believe why I don't have a problem with this - it's because of my default template and workplace? I constantly make changes to them and save it internally and externally, but this works without any of the issues you're bringing to light. 

My template and workspace are saved with floating windows (obviously not visible or docked in the multidock and with only the browser, synth rack and inspector as floating) so I guess it reads them as "temporary" docked windows in the videos? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

I believe it's in the first Video attached. 😂

In all fairness: I believe why I don't have a problem with this - it's because of my default template and workplace? I constantly make changes to them and save it internally and externally, but this works without any of the issues you're bringing to light. 

My template and workspace are saved with floating windows (obviously not visible or docked in the multidock and with only the browser, synth rack and inspector as floating) so I guess it reads them as "temporary" docked windows in the videos? 

Not sure I understand.

I leave workspaces disabled. I use screensets, but not workspaces or mix recall. Nor arrangements...

This is not recent. It has been this way since it's inception with silverlight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Keni said:

Not sure I understand.

I leave workspaces disabled. I use screensets, but not workspaces or mix recall. Nor arrangements...

This is not recent. It has been this way since it's inception with silverlight

I believe Cakewalk dont use Silverlight anymore as it has been discontinued in 2011/12? due to the poor restrictions Microsoft brought? Anyway . . . 

Well, then I guess the problem is with screensets? Have you tried saving your screensets with a workspace. 

I have 3 different workspaces (with each different layout) running on the same template. So "MAYBE" the screensets are runned with workspaces too? 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

Skylight (name for Cakewalk UI since some version of SONAR), not Silverlight (thankfully they never used that abomination!).

Yeah. I was thinking why Silverlight? 😂  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Will_Kaydo said:

I believe Cakewalk dont use Silverlight anymore as it has been discontinued in 2011/12? due to the poor restrictions Microsoft brought? Anyway . . . 

Well, then I guess the problem is with screensets? Have you tried saving your screensets with a workspace. 

I have 3 different workspaces (with each different layout) running on the same template. So "MAYBE" the screensets are runned with workspaces too? 

That's a bit confusing to me... I thought the whole multidock/windowing environment was all silverlight???

 

I don't use workspaces at all as I find them too volatile for me. Not sure how this issue would relate to screensets. I'm not changing screensets in this process and my screensets are all, always unlocked.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yes, zooming in Cakewalk has improved, especially with my favorite command, the one that fits the project horizontally without expanding track height. How I would love to have that in the Piano Roll. But it's still touchier than in most programs, it just seems fidgety, like I can't keep it centered. Improved, but still fidgety.

What is the keyboard shortcut that "fits the project horizontally without expanding track height?" I can't find it in the documentation or in Keyboard Shortcuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

What is the keyboard shortcut that "fits the project horizontally without expanding track height?" I can't find it in the documentation or in Keyboard Shortcuts.

Ctrl-Alt-F

This was my very first feature request, over 3 years ago, and I wear shiny spots on those keys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...