I'm A Glutton For Punishment

jack c.

Hey Jack,

I going to be a little hard here, I'm coming from the perspective that I've been asked to produce on this one.

a) at 4:49 its a bit too long, given the repetition in the "riff", and the vocal coming in at 0:52; right?
You have some build going on, which is good, but its taking too long to get to the "meat".
"Don't bore us, get to the chorus"; right?
b) the vocal has to come up, I can barely understand the words, although I did the catch "I'm a glutton for punishment, or so my father said".
(bear in mind my "ears" lately have been a bit "challenged"; old age is finally catching up with me.)
c) do I hear some kind of "pad" way down in the mix, a B3 maybe? Or the synth (mellotron?) that comes in later?

These are my immediate concerns. For me, the "bones" are here, just needs some work...

big plus on the 5/4 time sig

t

18 hours ago, Larry Terrano said:

King Crimson

yeah I can hear the influence

36 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Hey Jack,

I going to be a little hard here, I'm coming from the perspective that I've been asked to produce on this one.

a) at 4:49 its a bit too long, given the repetition in the "riff", and the vocal coming in at 0:52; right?
You have some build going on, which is good, but its taking too long to get to the "meat".
"Don't bore us, get to the chorus"; right?
b) the vocal has to come up, I can barely understand the words, although I did the catch "I'm a glutton for punishment, or so my father said".
(bear in mind my "ears" lately have been a bit "challenged"; old age is finally catching up with me.)
c) do I hear some kind of "pad" way down in the mix, a B3 maybe? Or the synth (mellotron?) that comes in later?

These are my immediate concerns. For me, the "bones" are here, just needs some work...

big plus on the 5/4 time sig

t

yeah I can hear the influence

no,no,no i don't want anymore of your valuable  time.

i played in a black band for decades so we're used the long boring feel.

hey mate:i lost lots of hearing playing in said band!

the pad at what point in the song?

time signatures come as natural as breathing.remember i don't read or write music.as me old trombone called me music loesch a glyphics because i handed him parts such as c,d,f,e etc.no time signatures length of each note.anything ya need to say to me i take as a helping hand which i sure do need!!!!1jack c.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

my "ears"; in the verse/chorus, I "think" I'm hearing something buried in the mix.

first and second parts contain 2 different guitars plus a bass.nothing else.by the way one of me  most favorite bands is called       gentle giant to me they were the best players/singers ever.you like time signatures well they don't play in 4/4 much.i call them mistral,classical ,punk hard rock.this song long and drawn out is sort of similar to their stuff.by the way did ya hear the violin,cello part almost in the middle? jack c.

• Like 1