Presonus ATOM/NI Maschine Mikro 3

antler

I bought a korg nanopad a while back, thinking it might be nice to play my drum tracks to get a more human feel/happy accidents to make things sound more exciting. Finding the pads quite stiff, I ended up just continuing to program my drum tracks with a mouse. Fast forward a few years and I'm revisiting the idea of playing in my drum parts, and thought I might get either a Presonus ATOM, or an NI Maschine Mikro 3 for the quality of their pads (can't justify anything more expensive, and I don't have that much desk space). Having looked at some YouTube videos, it looks like these controllers only output a static range of MIDI notes that can't be configured; it looks like it would be problematic for Superior Drummer 3 (which I'm using), though I found a plugin called NoteMapper that looks like it might be able to help by mapping MIDI notes from one to another.

Does anyone have any experience with using either of these controllers with third party drum libraries?

Two parts to this answer.  The first is how to best enter the notes because, as you alluded to, they're nearly impossible to enter manually (talking purely MIDI here). 

06-Studio2010-04.jpg

I first bought the SPD-20 (in the top middle) to do this but it probably had the same issues that the Korg Nanopad does.  So it turned into my "effects" (MORE COWBELL!) and I bought a starter V-Drum set.  It wasn't long before I had maxed it out to what you see above (damn was it fun!).

Next, I was using the DR 808 extra that came with one of the early versions of Cakewalk for the drum sequencing because you could map a sample to a MIDI note which meant I could change out samples all over the place (I had a bunch).  The other feature I liked about the DR 808 was that you could have multiple samples at different (Ai! Lost the correct word! Dammit...) volumes/levels/strengths (hope you know what I mean!).

Anyway, I don't know what the best replacement is for the DR 808 now, but that's the basic idea!  It's kind of fun to make a complex fill and then look at what it creates in MIDI - you can definitely see that doing it manually is not going to happen!

I found this at the NI site on midi mapping for the MK3 (not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for).

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/maschine-micro-mk3-midi.336385/page-3?_ga=2.116632582.1469516480.1556288690-2093153240.1556288690#post-1699075

Having said that, I do have an MK3 Mikro (white) which is in mint condition (barely used with box and all) that could use a happy home.

Please PM me if interested.