Stop the chop

Starship Krupa

I know I've asked about this feature of Cakewalk many times, and nobody's ever given me an answer about why it happens. The documentation says that it will happen but doesn't say why. I am willing to spot that for someone, it may be a cherished part of their workflow, but for me it's just frustrating:

image.thumb.png.26154a7125c570a31d3fb9ba6ed01576.png

It is what I see every time I record in Loop mode. All previous takes get cut into spurious clips the same length as the final take. (Don't worry about the takes being in a different order in the two tracks, that's odd but not as bothersome)

I learned years ago that I can repair (heal) the clips by swiping the Comp tool across them, but I'd rather not have to every time. Whenever one takes an editing tool to a clip, one runs a risk, however small, of unforeseen consequences. Especially if one is taking the tool to grouped clips across multiple tracks.

All I want is a way to turn it off before it happens. It's fine if it stays default behavior, I can go to Preferences, edit an .INI file, edit the registry, whatever it takes. I just don't want Cakewalk making edits for me when I didn't ask it to, when I don't want it to.

• Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I know I've asked about this feature of Cakewalk many times, and nobody's ever given me an answer about why it happens. The documentation says that it will happen but doesn't say why. I am willing to spot that for someone, it may be a cherished part of their workflow, but for me it's just frustrating:

It is what I see every time I record in Loop mode. All previous takes get cut into spurious clips the same length as the final take. (Don't worry about the takes being in a different order in the two tracks, that's odd but not as bothersome)

I learned years ago that I can repair (heal) the clips by swiping the Comp tool across them, but I'd rather not have to every time. Whenever one takes an editing tool to a clip, one runs a risk, however small, of unforeseen consequences. Especially if one is taking the tool to grouped clips across multiple tracks.

All I want is a way to turn it off before it happens. It's fine if it stays default behavior, I can go to Preferences, edit an .INI file, edit the registry, whatever it takes. I just don't want Cakewalk making edits for me when I didn't ask it to, when I don't want it to.

Your reference clips (Take 1) Why do they look like groove clips? 

I always record in loop mode for various reasons - starting from lip edits to takes for comping. Sometimes the recorded take would get cut/sliced (in the loop recorded mode) and i really don't know why, because 70% of the time it never happens. Same thing happens when i do edits in the PRV and when returning back to the TV, I will often notice the clip is sliced on the section it was worked on. Obviously its easy fixable with a bounce. 

If your answer is YES (edit groove clip) to my starting question - there's a reasonable answer to it. Because it's an edit groove clip: Cakewalk identify the reference take as two clips/files in one take and tries to project the second recorded take as such (might be wrong.) If your answer is NO: Then i don't know. Mine shows up as a normal slice clip and not as a sliced loop clip - as how it is in your attached image. 

I'll try to reproduce your scenario with some ideas. 

5 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Why do they look like groove clips?

Beats me (pardon the expression). This is what I got/get immediately after doing 2 full takes on the drum kit, plus that little overrun before I hit the Stop button.

It's been happening for the 3+ years I've been a Cakewalk user. I've brought it up several times. It seems to be "as designed," but nobody can tell me why, what workflow it's supposed to serve.

I would like to know, maybe there's a possible use I haven't considered. It looks like some sort of automatic punch, and I don't have automatic punch-in enabled in Preferences.

It's not hard to repro: just set up to record in loop mode, then do several takes of varying lengths. If you start and stop because you've made a flub, things get even more chopped up.

It makes no difference whether lanes are open or closed, nor does it matter if reuse lanes is on or off, nor new takes on top or bottom, clips linked or not.

24 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Beats me (pardon the expression). This is what I got/get immediately after doing 2 full takes on the drum kit, plus that little overrun before I hit the Stop button.

It's been happening for the 3+ years I've been a Cakewalk user. I've brought it up several times. It seems to be "as designed," but nobody can tell me why, what workflow it's supposed to serve.

I would like to know, maybe there's a possible use I haven't considered. It looks like some sort of automatic punch, and I don't have automatic punch-in enabled in Preferences.

It's not hard to repro: just set up to record in loop mode, then do several takes of varying lengths. If you start and stop because you've made a flub, things get even more chopped up.

It makes no difference whether lanes are open or closed, nor does it matter if reuse lanes is on or off, nor new takes on top or bottom, clips linked or not.

Like I said: That happens to me rarely, but it is known to me. Just not like as in your Image. The T7 (Take 7) you see here in the video (small short clip) Thats one note. I wanted to do 8 takes, but decided not to during this recording. So thats the 1st note of the melody.

T1 you see here (the straight line) is me waiting to count in the metronome. 

58 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Thanks for the video. I only wish I knew what combination of settings would result in it not happening. Unlike with your recordings, with mine it happens each and every dang time.

What are your record settings? New takes on top, bottom? Comping mode? Reuse existing lanes?

Sound on Sound.

Store takes in a single track.

Reuse existing lane, unless overlap.

New takes on top. 

Do not group tracks. 

Pretty sure it's the default setting. I can't remember ever changing it. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

On 9/1/2021 at 7:36 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Ah! Finally solved this. 

Cakewalk reads them as one clip. This is expected, seeing that it's multiple recording takes in a loop, on one track, in the same region. Basically, they're in a "matrix." So this means if you make a cut to one - you make the cut to all. 

To avoid this: unfortunately, you have to separate them into independent tracks do your editing and drag them back. The downside to this is, if you have 8 takes, and you want to edit take 3 - you'll have to drag down T8, T7, T6 until you get to T3 - separate it, do your edit and drag them back on top of each other if you prefer them that way and delete all those empty tracks.

I would just keep them separated and place them this way in a folder. Personally, I keep every track in its own space. I dont find the folder skeem that much useful other than for "Space" in the Track View.

60 tracks, stay's 60 tracks in the console view. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

22 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

"healing" clips often results in more splits elsewhere, leading to an even bigger morass

Right? There are any number of slips with the mouse that can happen when dragging across multiple clips. Unwanted moves, fades, whatever, if your Smart Tool happens to grab a hotspot.