Google's Mean!

Variorum

I hear ya. Not once in my live have I EVER searched for a right handed guitar. It's always, "Left Handed Gretsch" "Left Handed Epiphone" ... "Left Handed *fill in the blank*", yet I keep getting bombarded with ad's for everything but, a Left Handed guitar. LOL

I use startpage.com

Same results as google, but they don't track you and sell your info to spammers.

I've often wondered if the 'normal' guitars are really lefty guitars. Why? My left hand does a lot more work and configures itself into more tangled configurations than my right. Of course there could be something I don't understand about that.

I gigged with a guy who was a lefty, and could turn is guitar around mid-song (he played left with right-handed strings). It was good for entertainment appeal. He said he preferred it right-handed.

Now, I know the saxophone is a left-handed instrument, and they don't make right-handed saxophones. I can play the notes G, G#, A Bb, B, C, C#, in two octaves and the highest D and Eb with only my left hand. I can only play one note without my right hand, the middle octave C#.

Flutes, clarinets and wind synthesizers are similar.

How about pianos? Are they left or right-handed instruments? And why don't they come in both?

That's OT but I couldn't resist.

You could use the advanced search in starpage https://www.startpage.com/en/advanced-search.html and but left-handed in the exact phrase slot. Worth a try anyway.

Insights and icites by Notes

5 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

(he played left with right-handed strings)

I played with a guy who always played that way. But his E and Am chord configuration was the same as mine.

Example: open E chord

Index Finger = G string first fret
Middle Finger = D string second fret 
Third Finger = A string second fret

What's even weirder is that I also play bar chords like too.

He was the only guitar player who I ever met who played chords like I did.

5 hours ago, Bapu said:

What's even weirder is that I also play bar chords like too.

He was the only guitar player who I ever met who played chords like I did.

I bet playing leads was a nightmare.

When I very first started to play I played my brothers right handed Ovation upside down. High E on top. He eventually bought me a left handed guitar and told me to keep my greasy paws off his beloved Ovation and I had to learn how to play all over again.

And to this day I greatly dislike Ovation guitars. 

• Haha 1

I learned to play guitar and bass in my first road band. We played the college circuit and eventually opening for headliners in concert.

The guitarist had an Epiphone Sheraton I, and it was a beautiful guitar. He also had a Kay guitar that he kept as a backup. It had a neck like a baseball bat and strings about a mile away from the fretboard. He taught me how to play barre chords on it so that when the songwriter didn't have the good sense to put a sax part in the song, I could play rhythm guitar.

The bass player also played guitar, so he taught me how to play bass.

In the same group the drummer was a good singer, and since my first instrument was drums, I would sit at the kit a few times a night, so he could get out front and sing.

As time went on, I got better at all 3.

I never got to play the Sheraton, and I always struggled with the Kay. After that band broke up I bought a Gibson ES-330 and found out how comparatively easy one could play on a guitar with a decent neck. I still have that 330.

But to this day, I greatly dislike Kay guitars.

Notes

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

No one taught me to play bass.

Prolly 'splains a lot.🤥🤒

I was taught one song once for when the band all switched roles for a laugh at a gig, but I had no idea what any of the notes were, I just played it as I was shown and had to try and remember it.

• Great Idea 1