Changing to a different VST on an existing midi track

Mark Bastable

Question

I have a midi track that's output to a French horn VST. (See pic,) I run it, I hear the French horn - all good.

I want to try it with a different VST instrument.

However,  if I pick another VST from the dropdown, I hear nothing. 

But actually, although that's a problem, it's not the main problem. The main problem is that I want to use another VST entirely, not one in the dropdown of instruments that are already in use on the track.

This is obviously a reasonable thing to want to do, so I must have done something stupid at an earlier stage. Is it that I should have set up a separate instrument track to send to?

And if that is the answer, what have I actually done here? Is the midi track I have now inextricably married to the French horn?

IMG_1991.jpg

4 answers to this question

The reason you were hearing nothing is you soloed the midi track which is associated with the DSK Brass VST.
When you changed the midi track output the instrument you selected would be muted still. The DSK brass would be the one soloed.  

You would have heard the new choice if you had  un soloed the DSK Brass and midi track and re soloed again. This will then solo the new output associated with the midi track 

Edited by John Vere